Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — Burgh

Most viewed - Places — Burgh
1901-pierhead~3.jpg
View from pier 19011664 viewsThis view from the pierhead looking up Colquhoun Street was taken in 1901, but it is not known why a large crowd had gathered and what they were looking at. The shops are Robert Brown's wines and spirits and Lachlan McLachlan's very popular bakery. In 1929 the building which housed the two shops was demolished to allow the National Bank of Scotland to be built, and Lachlan McLachlan moved his business to Garelochhead where he worked until his death in 1951. Image supplied by Pat Drayton.
DSCI0007.jpg
Grindwheel1658 viewsThis has been placed below the dated roundels of Malig Mill. These remains are in Hermitage Park and to the rear of the Victoria Halls.
Wolseley-Garage.jpg
Bandstand and Garage1597 viewsA view of the Helensburgh seafront bandstand with the Granary building in the distance during the period that it was a Garage and Wolseley Depot, circa 1920.
earlybaths.jpg
The Swimming Pool1555 viewsHelensburgh's outdoor pool. Undated, possible the 1960s.
DSCI0006.jpg
Malig Mill inscription with dates1553 viewsThese have been placed on one wall. According to one written source the original mill was rebuilt. The dates may or may not support this.
William-St-shelter044.jpg
The William Street shelter1393 viewsLooking east along West Clyde Street, with the now demolished William Street shelter on the right and two horse-drawn carriages on the road. Image circa 1915.
Esplanade_19704.jpg
Pony Rides1321 viewsFun on Helensburgh beach at the pierhead in 1970.
1970-Aerial-view-22.jpg
View from above1315 viewsAn aerial view of central Helensburgh, circa 1970.
Ardencaple_Castle_derelict1.jpg
Ardencaple Castle derelict1307 viewsThe last private resident, Mrs H.MacAulay-Stromberg, bought the castle from Sir Iain Colquhoun in 1923 and at last the castle returned to MacAulay ownership. Under her care the castle and grounds were brought back into good order. She died in 1931, and it faced a long period of neglect. During the Second World War it was used by the Admiralty as Naval Married Quarters, and it was demolished in 1957 to make room for a naval housing estate. Image by courtesy of the Clan MacAulay Association, date unknown.
1970-Aerial-view-11.jpg
Town centre aerial view1261 viewsThis picture of the central part of Helensburgh is circa 1970.
Hospital-1.jpg
Helensburgh Infectious Diseases Hospital1214 viewsThis hospital was adjacent to the Victoria Infirmary, and was in operation from 1875 to 1956. It was demolished three years later.
clydestcart.jpg
East Clyde Street1196 viewsThe lamp standard on the left marks the entrance to the Queen's Hotel. Postmarked 1920.
289 files on 25 page(s) 1