Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Shops

Most viewed - Shops
Sinclair-Street049_18-02-17.jpg
Sinclair Street shops1370 viewsA view of the east side of Sinclair Street, between Clyde Street and Princes Street, circa 1950. The shops are C.G.Reid ironmonger, J.Rowan clothier, Birrell confectioner, the Tudor Garden Restaurant, A.Massey & Sons grocer, Alex Munro butcher, Peacocks hairdresser, Hargan's shoes, the entrance to the Waldie & Co. Ltd. garage, two unidentified shops, Ross shoes, Maclachlan bakers.
Woolworth-Drayton-1.jpg
Wonder of Woolies-11142 viewsLocal historian Pat Drayton is seen with members of staff outside the Woolworths store in West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, in October 1997. She won a competition to perform the official opening of a new look store after extensive refurbishment and was treated to a champagne breakfast before the opening. The store was open for many years until it closed in January 2009 when the chain went into administration.
Woolworths~0.jpg
Woolworths1126 viewsA view of West Clyde Street circa 1970 showing the F.W.Woolworth branch which closed in January 2009 and beyond it the National Commercial Bank which became part of the Royal Bank of Scotland and moved to Colquhoun Square.
Maclachlans5.jpg
L.MacLachlan & Son Tea Room1062 viewsEstablished in 1798, this firm of family bakers and confectioners had premises at 23 West Clyde Street, Quay Head, Helensburgh (above), and also at Roslyn Place, Garelochhead. They also catered for picnic parties. Image circa 1910.
Woolworth-Drayton-2.jpg
Wonder of Woolies-21055 viewsLocal historian Pat Drayton is seen with members of staff inside the Woolworths store in West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, in October 1997. She won a competition to perform the official opening of a new look store after extensive refurbishment and was treated to a champagne breakfast before the opening. The store was open for many years until it closed in January 2009 when the chain went into administration.
Kerr_furniture4.jpg
Thomas H.Kerr Furniture1030 viewsThe 19 James Street premises of Thomas H.Kerr, Dealer in Modern and Antique Furniture, Cabinet-maker, Upholsterer and Removal Contractor. Image circa 1910.
Early_Woolworths.jpg
Early Woolworths995 viewsA 1936 view of West Clyde Street showing the F.W.Woolworth 3d and 6d Stores branch which closed in January 2009 when the chain went into administration, and beyond it the National Commercial Bank which became part of the Royal Bank of Scotland and moved to Colquhoun Square.
Royal-Bank-exterior.jpg
Royal Bank951 viewsThe exterior of the Royal Bank of Scotland branch in East Princes Street, next to stationers Macneur and Bryden Ltd. The picture was taken by Wilson Brothers Photographers, of Glasgow, and in front is manager John R.Dixon, circa 1936. Image supplied by Marion Gillies.
Shandon_Shop1087.jpg
Shandon Shop944 viewsBray, Shandon, on Kirk Brae, where Cooper & Co., agent for the Perth Dye Works, offered Teas etc. Date unknown. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove.
McInnes-shop-2~0.jpg
G.Arthur McInnes Ltd.935 viewsA 1980s view of G.Arthur McInnes, Drapers, 77-81 Sinclair Street, Helensburgh. It opened on February 15 1929 on the site previously occupied by grocer R.M.Clyde, six years after Robert’s daughter Jean married George Arthur McInnes on January 3 1923. George died in 1937, but Jean carried on until her death in 1941. Her daughter Isobel — better known as Belle and wife of Waldies garage boss and town councillor George Aitkenhead — ran the business for many years with the aid of manager Duncan Ralph.
Smith_Butchers7.jpg
W. & A.Smith, Butchers925 viewsThe 93 East Clyde Street premises of Smith Butchers. They offered finest home-fed beef and mutton, lamb and veal in season. Specialities were corned beef, pickled tongues and sausages. Orders could be called for morning and evening. Image circa 1910.
McCallum_Dressmakers6.jpg
McCallum Milliners909 viewsThe display in the ladies department at 21 West Clyde Street premises of McCallum & Sons, Milliners, Dressmakers & General Warehousemen, established 1820. They offered costumes, mantles and blouses, and were glovers, hosiers, and outfitters. They also supplied household linen, blankets, flannels and Scotch Wincey. The Gents Department offered hats, caps, shirts, gloves, 'cellular clothing', 'Scotch Underwear", and featherweight tourist waterproof coats. Image circa 1910.
29 files on 3 page(s) 1