Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Last additions - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Kinnear_Private_Hotel.jpg
Kinnear House157 viewsThis building at the corner of Charlotte Street and Victoria Road in Helensburgh has had several uses over the years. At the time the picture was taken it was Kinnear Private Hotel, but it was also the first St Bride's School and in World War Two was used to billet officers working at the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment, RAF Helensburgh. Today it is divided into two private dwellings. Image date unknown.

Jan 01, 2018
Leaflet_launch.jpg
165 viewsLocal councillor Billy Petrie and three ladies enjoy their ice creams as they launch a new tourist leaflet 'In and around Helensburgh and Rosneath District'. Image daye unknown.Jan 01, 2018
Deborah-Kerr_David-Bruce-1990-w.jpg
Deborah Kerr at 70136 viewsHelensburgh film star Deborah Kerr is seen at the 1990 European Film Awards at in the entrance to Glasgow Royal Concert Hall with Helensburgh man David Bruce, who was Director of the Scottish Film Council and was mainly responsible for bringing the event to Glasgow. It was also attended by a number of international film stars, including Jeanne Moreau, Max von Sydow, Nastassia Kinski, Kenneth Branagh and Richard Attenborough. Film makers present included David Putnam and the great Ingmar Bergman and Andzej Wajda. Image by courtesy of David Bruce.Dec 14, 2017
Seafront-shelter-w.jpg
Air raid shelter147 viewsAn air raid shelter was created on Helensburgh seafront to the west of the Henry Bell obelisk in World War Two by excavating the seafront grass opposite the James Street/John Street block. But it was never used as it kept being flooded by sea water.Dec 12, 2017
Helensburgh_seafront.jpg
1885 Seafront154 viewsA view of the town from the pier c.1885, taken by pioneering Scottish photographer George Washington Wilson (1823-93) from Aberdeen. Reprinted as a postcard, it includes the Imperial Hotel, the Granary and the Old Parish Church.Nov 19, 2017
Queen_s-Hotel-w.jpg
Queen's Hotel158 viewsThe Queen's Hotel on Helensburgh eastern seafront was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.
Nov 17, 2017
St-Michael_s-w.jpg
St Michael's Church136 viewsHelensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Scottish Episcopal Church stands at the corner of William Street and West Princes Street. On Sunday August 22 1841 a congregation of Scottish Episcopalians met in the room of a house in William Street, where Divine Service was solemnised by the Very Rev William Routledge. Their first church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, opened on the site of the present St Michael's Church in 1843. Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, a prolific architect and pupil of George Gilbert Scott, chose the style of the Gothic Revival for the current church which was consecrated on May 7 1868. it is Helensburgh's only grade A listed church. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Modan_s-w.jpg
St Modan's Rosneath115 viewsSt Modan came to Rosneath around the year 600 and founded probably one of the oldest churches in Scotland. He died around the year 700 and a gravestone preserved in the present church is probably his. Today's church, an A listed building, is the fifth, and it was opened for worship in 1853 and subsequently extended twice. Two items in the building, a Bible and the reredos, are linked to Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria and wife of the 9th Duke of Argyll, who lived in Rosneath Castle.Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
United-Reformed-Church-w.jpg
United Reformed Church117 viewsThis building occupies the site of Helensburgh's very first church, The Tabernacle, which was built in 1802 at the corner of James Street and West Princes Street. Almost immediately after the building was opened the congregation voted to become part of the Congregational Church. The original building had to be demolished in 1851 and a new church was built on the site which now serves as the church hall, and which can be seen on the right side of the photo. Today's church (on the left of the photo) was built in 1884. In 2000 the Congregational Church joined the United Reformed Church. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
Shandon-w.jpg
Shandon Church121 viewsBuilt in 1844 as Shandon Free Church, it became linked with Rhu Church in 1954. It continued in use until 1981 and was then converted into housing, with the height of the steeple being substantially reduced. Shandon Pier used to stand straight across the road from the church. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Bride_s-w.jpg
St Bride's Church119 viewsThe development of this church started in 1867, but the building shown dates from 1878 and it stood at the corner of John Street and West King Street. For 42 years its minister was the Rev John Baird, father of television inventor John Logie Baird. In 1929 its name was changed from West Parish Church to St Bride's Church. It closed for worship in 1981 and was demolished nine years later. Flats now occupy the corner of the site and Helensburgh Library occupies the rest; three stained-glass windows from the church are on display in the Library. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Columba-w.jpg
St Columba Church116 viewsThis congregation started in 1839, but did not get its own building until 1844. In 1861 a bigger building was opened next door at the corner of Sinclair Street and West King Street, and the original building became the church hall. Originally called the United Secession Church, the name was changed to St Columba in 1900. The church closed for worship in 2011, and the building in the photo is now called The Tower and functions as a digital arts centre, including a cinema. The former church hall is to become the Scottish Submarine Centre. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
1914 files on 160 page(s) 2