Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Last additions - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Hel-Provost-chain-1-w.jpg
Provost's chain363 viewsThe Helensburgh Provost's chain of office. Possibly presented in 1812, the chain has a link which marks to the right the first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell, who served from 1802, the year the town became a Burgh of Barony, to 1809, and to the left Norman M.Glen, the last Provost, who served from 1970-75. Below hangs a medallion dated 1812 with the burgh coat of arms. Photo by Stewart Noble.Aug 16, 2016
Hel-Provost-chain-2-w.jpg
Provost's chain353 viewsA large engraved link which hangs at the foot of the Helensburgh Provost's chain of office. Possibly presented in 1812, the chain marks to the right the first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell, who served from 1802, the year the town became a Burgh of Barony, to 1809, and to the left Norman M.Glen, the last Provost, who served from 1970-75. Photo by Stewart Noble.Aug 16, 2016
Hel-Provost-chain-3-w.jpg
Provost's chain341 viewsThe medallion which hangs at the foot of the Helensburgh Provost's chain of office. It states Burgh of Helensburgh 1802, the year the town became a Burgh of Barony. Photo by Stewart Noble.Aug 16, 2016
Clock-Tower-view-w.jpg
View from above358 viewsPhotographer Brian Averell climbed to the top of the Clock Tower on March 26 1985 to take this view looking along the West Esplanade. The tower, originally part of the Old Parish Church, was being repaired by local builders A.Trail & Son who also built the adjacent Tower Place flats on the church site.Aug 03, 2016
Shandon-Hydro-demolition-w.jpg
Hydro Demolition437 viewsOriginally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.Aug 03, 2016
Old-seafront-pic.jpg
Seafront334 viewsAn early image of Helensburgh seafront, looking from the pier to the east side of the town. As there is no bandstand, it must have been taken before 1906. Image kindly supplied by Robert Ryan.Jul 25, 2016
Central_Station.jpg
Helensburgh Central410 viewsHelensburgh Central Station, possibly circa 1890.The photo was taken for Macneur & Bryden Ltd., stationers and publishers of the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times weekly newspaper, whose premises were in East Princes Street opposite the station.Jul 24, 2016
Seafront-before-reclamation-w.jpg
Seafront before reclamation362 viewsHow Helensburgh seafront and the outdoor swimming pool looked before the major reclamation to form a car park and build the indoor swimming pool. Image, source unknown, supplied by Robert Ryan.Jun 22, 2016
Hermitage-Prefects-1955-w.jpg
Hermitage Prefects 1955547 viewsBack row (from left): Gordon Fraser, Tony Wright, Jim Maxwell, George Douglas, Alan Dunwoodie, Esme White, Josephine Park, Alistair McPherson, Margaret Johnstone, Bobby Lindsay, Sandy Peters, Stewart Douglas, Ian Paul; middle: Margaret McCulloch, Dykes Carswell, Margaret Rice, George Turnbull, Kathleen Turnbull, Neil Burgess, Katherine Taylor, Jimmy MacDonald, Isobel Thorburn, Stewart Clark, Florence Hendry, David Gall; front: Helen Orr, Joyce Mitchell, Ann Jardine, Isobel Thornton, Douglas Lamb, Headmaster George Mutch, Gillian Mutch, Megan Boak, Eleanor "Nelly" Kirkpatrick, Judith Peel, Elma Davis. Image kindly supplied by Gordon Fraser.Jun 21, 2016
1953-Hermitage-cricket-team.jpg
Hermitage cricket XI c.1953469 viewsTop row (from left): Willie Thornton, Gordon Fraser, John Trail, David Gall, Alistair Johnstone, Douglas McSkimming, Ian Paul; front: Jim Williamson (scorer), Jimmy MacDonald, Alan Dinwoodie, Bobby Lindsay, Neil Burgess, Dykes Carswell, coach John Blain. Image from Gordon Fraser and David Gall.Jun 20, 2016
1953-Hermitage-fourth-year-class.jpg
Hermitage 4th year c.1954593 viewsTop (from left): Stewart Douglas,Eric Bowman, Kenneth Murray, Willie MacSporran, Gordon Fraser, Arthur Payne, Tony Wright, William Gilchrist, Bobby Lindsay, Eddie Montgomery, Donald Maclean, Victor Petrie, Jim Williamson, Alan Wyllie, Jim MacPherson; second row: Jeanette Munro, Ina MacDougall, Josephine Park, Eric Morrison, Heather MacDonald, Neil Burgess, Sheena MacGregor, Jimmy MacDonald, Jean Hamilton, Ian Still, Pat Paterson, Ann Blackadder; third row: May Howieson, Elsa Logan, Elinor Strang, Doris Griegson, Doreen Matherson, Eliane Dodd, Joan Stewart, Jean Jaimason, Margaret MacFarlane, Sally Osborne, Mr William MacWatt; front row: Kate MacDermid, Eva MacKenzie, Betty Calder, Heather Gillespie, Marcia Anderson, Barbara Ward, Joyce Henderson, Betty Fagan. Image: Gordon Fraser.Jun 20, 2016
Hermitage-Gym-Team-c-1953-w.jpg
1953 Gymnasts469 viewsThe Hermitage Gym Team c.1953. Back row from left: Alastair Johnstone, David Gall, Bruce Blackadder, Robbie Dewar, Dykes Carswell, Neil Burgess, Jimmy Crooks, Fraser McGruer, Gordon Fraser, Ian McLeod, Gym teacher John Blain; middle: Glen Marsland, Donald Lawrie, Brian Gibson(?), Alastair Gow, Bing Muir, Evan McGregor, Victor Petrie, Tommy McRae, Frank Cowe, Angus Trail; front: Richard West, ?, Ian Martin, Graham Smith, Willie MacPherson, Tommy Watt, Willie Thornton, Jim Caldwell, ?. Image from Gordon Fraser and David Gall.Jun 20, 2016
1903 files on 159 page(s) 11