Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Last additions - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Shipbreaking_Industries.jpg
Faslane shipbreaking50 viewsThe Shipbreaking Industries yard at Faslane, clearly illustrating that they broke up old railway locomotives as well as ships. After Faslane had been a military port in World War Two, at the end of 1945 the southern section was handed over to the Royal Navy who used it as a base for the Reserve Fleet. In August 1946 the rest was handed over to Metal Industries (later Shipbreaking Industries) for shipbreaking. Many famous vessels ended their days there, including the last four-funnelled liner, the Aquitania, the German battleship Derflinger which had been scuttled at Scapa Flow, and the last battleship built for the Royal Navy, HMS Vanguard. Image, date unknown, by courtesy of Stewart Noble.Nov 25, 2018
Cairndhu-GF-w.jpg
Cairndhu51 viewsThe magnificent William Leiper-designed Helensburgh seafront mansion Cairndhu, which is now boarded up, pictured in its heyday by Gordon Fraser. It was built for Glasgow businessman John Ure, who later became Lord Provost of Glasgow, in the style of a miniature French chateau, with stained glass windows by Daniel Cottier. The mansion remained a private home until the Second World War. In September 1940 it was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and became home to part of HMS Vernon, along with neighbouring Ardencaple Castle. for degaussing operations. In 1947 Cairndhu was returned to private ownership and became a hotel and then a nursing home.Nov 25, 2018
CHORD-seafront-w.jpg
CHORD project50 viewsARGYLL and Bute Council's Helensburgh's CHORD project, opened in 2015, involved over £7 million of investment in regenerating the town centre, making improvements to the town's public places, including wider pavements, better access to local shops, new parking bays, and new street furniture. This image by Gordon Fraser shows work in progress on laying the new pavement near the junction of West Clyde Street and William Street.Nov 25, 2018
2_the_Triangle.jpg
Burgh prefab174 viewsThe town had a number of prefab homes for several decades, and this one is 2 The Triangle, just behind the Victoria Infirmary and where Johnston Court is now. Image, date unknown, supplied by Helensburgh Memories member Paul Oakes.Aug 31, 2018
Rhu_tennis.jpg
Rhu tennis222 viewsThis group of tennis players at Rhu was photographed by well known Helensburgh photographer Bill Benzie. Image date unknown. Any further information would be most welcome.Jul 29, 2018
Cumberland-fire-w.jpg
Cumberland burns235 viewsThe Clyde Industrial Training Ship Association vessel Cumberland, moored off Rhu from 1869-89, was destroyed by fire — allegedly arson by five boy pupils — and sold for scrap. The illustrations are from 'The Graphic' newspaper of the time.Jul 29, 2018
Kilcreggan-infants-1921-w.jpg
Kilcreggan infants249 viewsInfant pupils at Kilcreggan School in June 1921 when the headmaster was George S.Rae. Image kindly supplied by Richard Reeve.Jul 29, 2018
Kilcreggan-School-1921-1-w.jpg
Kilcreggan pupils288 viewsOlder pupils at Kilcreggan School in 1921, with headmaster George S.Rae. Image kindly supplied by Richard Reeve.Jul 29, 2018
Kenilworth-Craigendoran-w.jpg
PS Kenilworth209 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return in 1936 she was the first of the Craigendoran fleet to acquire the grey hull and reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed. Image circa 1936.Jul 26, 2018
Hill-House-1904-w.jpg
Hill House 1904245 viewsAn image of The Hill House, the Upper Colquhoun Street mansion designed by architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh for publisher Walter W.Blackie, shortly after construction finished in 1904. © Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.
Jul 02, 2018
Army-artillery-reserve-w.jpg
Reservists251 viewsMembers of the local Army Reserve the early 1950s. More information would be welcomed. Image supplied by Gordon Fraser, whose father is extreme right in the front row.Jul 01, 2018
Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg
Scouts at work214 viewsMembers of the local scouting Rovers building a cabin in the woods at Luss in the early 1950s. More information would be welcomed. Image supplied by Gordon Fraser.Jul 01, 2018
1928 files on 161 page(s) 1