Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Last additions
Redgauntlet~0.jpg
Steamer then minesweeper6 viewsThe Clyde steel paddle steamer Redgauntlet, built in 1895 for the North British Steam Packet Co. at Craigendoran and launched on April 4, is pictured at the Isle of May. She was built by Barclay, Curle & Co. Ltd., Glasgow, at their Clydeholm Yard, and in May 1909 passed to the Galloway Saloon Steam Packet Co. for its Firth of Forth service. On May 4 1916 she was requisitioned by the Admiralty for use as a minesweeper and was based in Grimsby and commissioned as HMS Redgauntlet II. The following year she was bought by the Royal Navy, and two years later sold to French owners and registered in Algeria. It is believed that she was scrapped in 1934.Jan 16, 2018
Fishing_boats.jpg
Fishing boats6 viewsFishing boats tied up at Helensburgh pier. Image circa 1942.Jan 16, 2018
HA-60-Queen-at-Faslane-w.jpg
PM in Churchill9 viewsThe Queen inspects Royal Navy personnel at the then Clyde Naval Base at Faslane in 1972. Photo by Brian Averell for the Helensburgh Advertiser.Jan 12, 2018
HA-60-Thatcher-in-Churchill-w.jpg
PM in Churchill9 viewsPrime Minister Margaret Thatcher is seen visiting and meeting children at the naval married quarters estate at Churchill, Helensburgh, in 1976. Photo by Brian Averell for the Helensburgh Advertiser.Jan 12, 2018
Kinnear_Private_Hotel.jpg
Kinnear House19 viewsThis building at the corner of Charlotte Street and Victoria Road in Helensburgh has had several uses over the years. At the time the picture was taken it was Kinnear Private Hotel, but it was also the first St Bride's School and in World War Two was used to billet officers working at the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment, RAF Helensburgh. Today it is divided into two private dwellings. Image date unknown.

Jan 01, 2018
Leaflet_launch.jpg
28 viewsLocal councillor Billy Petrie and three ladies enjoy their ice creams as they launch a new tourist leaflet 'In and around Helensburgh and Rosneath District'. Image daye unknown.Jan 01, 2018
Deborah-Kerr_David-Bruce-1990-w.jpg
Deborah Kerr at 7037 viewsHelensburgh film star Deborah Kerr is seen at the 1990 European Film Awards at in the entrance to Glasgow Royal Concert Hall with Helensburgh man David Bruce, who was Director of the Scottish Film Council and was mainly responsible for bringing the event to Glasgow. It was also attended by a number of international film stars, including Jeanne Moreau, Max von Sydow, Nastassia Kinski, Kenneth Branagh and Richard Attenborough. Film makers present included David Putnam and the great Ingmar Bergman and Andzej Wajda. Image by courtesy of David Bruce.Dec 14, 2017
Seafront-shelter-w.jpg
Air raid shelter38 viewsAn air raid shelter was created on Helensburgh seafront to the west of the Henry Bell obelisk in World War Two by excavating the seafront grass opposite the James Street/John Street block. But it was never used as it kept being flooded by sea water.Dec 12, 2017
Helensburgh_seafront.jpg
1885 Seafront68 viewsA view of the town from the pier c.1885, taken by pioneering Scottish photographer George Washington Wilson (1823-93) from Aberdeen. Reprinted as a postcard, it includes the Imperial Hotel, the Granary and the Old Parish Church.Nov 19, 2017
Queen_s-Hotel-w.jpg
Queen's Hotel69 viewsThe Queen's Hotel on Helensburgh eastern seafront was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.
Nov 17, 2017
St-Michael_s-w.jpg
St Michael's Church60 viewsHelensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Scottish Episcopal Church stands at the corner of William Street and West Princes Street. On Sunday August 22 1841 a congregation of Scottish Episcopalians met in the room of a house in William Street, where Divine Service was solemnised by the Very Rev William Routledge. Their first church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, opened on the site of the present St Michael's Church in 1843. Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, a prolific architect and pupil of George Gilbert Scott, chose the style of the Gothic Revival for the current church which was consecrated on May 7 1868. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Modan_s-w.jpg
St Modan's Church56 viewsSt Modan's Church at Rosneath. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
1912 files on 160 page(s) 1