Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

Last additions - Religion
Rosneath_Parish_Church_(old).jpg
Rosneath Old Parish Church13 viewsSt Modan's Old Parish Church, Rosneath, stands near to its successor, and is surrounded by a graveyard. The church is now a roofless ruin, with some of the walls still standing. This site is said to have had a church for centuries, with this ruined church being the fourth church on the site. There are records of ministers stretching back to 1250. The site was apparently established by St Modan, who may be buried at Faslane. The image is from a 1908 postcard, kindly supplied by the Helensburgh Memories Facebook page.May 02, 2018
St-Michael_s-w.jpg
St Michael's Church136 viewsHelensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Scottish Episcopal Church stands at the corner of William Street and West Princes Street. On Sunday August 22 1841 a congregation of Scottish Episcopalians met in the room of a house in William Street, where Divine Service was solemnised by the Very Rev William Routledge. Their first church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, opened on the site of the present St Michael's Church in 1843. Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, a prolific architect and pupil of George Gilbert Scott, chose the style of the Gothic Revival for the current church which was consecrated on May 7 1868. it is Helensburgh's only grade A listed church. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Modan_s-w.jpg
St Modan's Rosneath115 viewsSt Modan came to Rosneath around the year 600 and founded probably one of the oldest churches in Scotland. He died around the year 700 and a gravestone preserved in the present church is probably his. Today's church, an A listed building, is the fifth, and it was opened for worship in 1853 and subsequently extended twice. Two items in the building, a Bible and the reredos, are linked to Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria and wife of the 9th Duke of Argyll, who lived in Rosneath Castle.Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
United-Reformed-Church-w.jpg
United Reformed Church117 viewsThis building occupies the site of Helensburgh's very first church, The Tabernacle, which was built in 1802 at the corner of James Street and West Princes Street. Almost immediately after the building was opened the congregation voted to become part of the Congregational Church. The original building had to be demolished in 1851 and a new church was built on the site which now serves as the church hall, and which can be seen on the right side of the photo. Today's church (on the left of the photo) was built in 1884. In 2000 the Congregational Church joined the United Reformed Church. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
Shandon-w.jpg
Shandon Church121 viewsBuilt in 1844 as Shandon Free Church, it became linked with Rhu Church in 1954. It continued in use until 1981 and was then converted into housing, with the height of the steeple being substantially reduced. Shandon Pier used to stand straight across the road from the church. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Bride_s-w.jpg
St Bride's Church119 viewsThe development of this church started in 1867, but the building shown dates from 1878 and it stood at the corner of John Street and West King Street. For 42 years its minister was the Rev John Baird, father of television inventor John Logie Baird. In 1929 its name was changed from West Parish Church to St Bride's Church. It closed for worship in 1981 and was demolished nine years later. Flats now occupy the corner of the site and Helensburgh Library occupies the rest; three stained-glass windows from the church are on display in the Library. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Columba-w.jpg
St Columba Church116 viewsThis congregation started in 1839, but did not get its own building until 1844. In 1861 a bigger building was opened next door at the corner of Sinclair Street and West King Street, and the original building became the church hall. Originally called the United Secession Church, the name was changed to St Columba in 1900. The church closed for worship in 2011, and the building in the photo is now called The Tower and functions as a digital arts centre, including a cinema. The former church hall is to become the Scottish Submarine Centre. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Joseph_s-w.jpg
St Joseph's Church112 viewsThere was no Roman Catholic Church in Helensburgh until 1880 when a chapel with school was built in Grant Street where the present church halls are. The present church itself at the corner of Lomond Street and East King Street was opened in 1912. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Mahew_s-w.jpg
St Mahew's110 viewsThe origins of this chapel are lost in the mists of time but gravestones there have been dated to the 9th or 10th century. The earliest surviving documents which speak of a chapel at Kilmahew come from the reign of King David II (1329-70). Following the Reformation in 1560 the chapel became derelict, but from 1640 until 1846 part of it was used as the village school. In 1948 it was acquired, as part of the Kilmahew Estate, by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow. Five years later work on restoration started and it began to serve again as a chapel in 1955. Today it is believed to be perhaps the oldest place of worship in the west of Scotland still being used for its original purpose. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
Bethesda-w.jpg
Helensburgh Bethesda109 viewsThe Bethesda Evangelical Church sprang from the same origins as the Baptist Church, and its persuasion is that of the Open Christian Brethren. In 1931 Bethesda Hall at 30 Colquhoun Street was bought, and it remains in service.Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
Garelochhead-w.jpg
Garelochhead Church105 viewsThere was no church in Garelochhead before the present building was constructed in 1837, making it one of the oldest in the area. A hall was added in 1894. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
Luss-w.jpg
Luss Church101 viewsIt is believed that St Kessog (or MacKessog) founded a church in Luss in the year 510, and it was in the name of Kessog that King Robert the Bruce went into battle against the English at Bannockburn in 1314. However the present building was opened in 1875 to commemorate the deaths of Sir James Colquhoun and a group of his gamekeepers in a boating accident in Loch Lomond two years earlier — indeed from inside the roof looks like an upturned boat. Some of the graves in the churchyard go back to the 7th or 8th century, and there is also a Viking hogback stone. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
82 files on 7 page(s) 1