Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Shops

Last additions - Shops
Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg
Macvicars381 viewsPedestrians use the crossing at the foot of Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, in front of Macvicars clothing store in the 1960s.Jan 07, 2017
Margaret_Reece_sweet_shop.jpg
Reece's Sweet Shop784 viewsMargaret Reece outside her sweet shop at the corner of Maitland Street and East Clyde Street, Helensburgh. Image, date unknown, supplied by Sue Taylor.May 11, 2013
Donald_MacLeod_processed.jpg
Donald MacLeod736 viewsTailor Donald MacLeod is seen at the door of his shop at the junction of East Clyde Street and Maitland Street in Helensburgh. Donald also wrote 'A Nonogenarian's Guide to Garelochside and Helensburgh', based on what he had been told by his uncle Gabriel MacLeod, who was the nonogenarian. Image, circa 1900, supplied by a descendant, Molly Bradshaw of Kilcreggan.Mar 20, 2011
Early_Woolworths.jpg
Early Woolworths900 viewsA 1936 view of West Clyde Street showing the F.W.Woolworth 3d and 6d Stores branch which closed in January 2009 when the chain went into administration, and beyond it the National Commercial Bank which became part of the Royal Bank of Scotland and moved to Colquhoun Square.Jul 07, 2010
Old-Rhu-Post-Office.jpg
Rhu Post Office764 viewsAn old picture of Rhu Post Office, date unknown. David Winton left his job with the Post Office in Arbroath about 1910 as he was becoming blind, and he and his wife moved to Rhu where they were Postmaster and Postmistress until the mid-1950s. Beyond is the Rhu Inn, then known as the Colquhoun Arms. Image supplied by their great grandson, Alistair Quinlan.Sep 02, 2009
Rhu-Post-Office2.jpg
Rhu Post Office749 viewsAn old picture of Rhu Post Office, date unknown. David Winton left his job with the Post Office in Arbroath about 1910 as he was becoming blind, and he and his wife moved to Rhu where they were Postmaster and Postmistress until the mid-1950s. Beyond is the Rhu Inn, then known as the Colquhoun Arms. Image supplied by their great grandson, Alistair Quinlan.Sep 02, 2009
Woolworths~0.jpg
Woolworths1039 viewsA view of West Clyde Street circa 1970 showing the F.W.Woolworth branch which closed in January 2009 and beyond it the National Commercial Bank which became part of the Royal Bank of Scotland and moved to Colquhoun Square.Apr 10, 2009
Royal-Bank-exterior.jpg
Royal Bank868 viewsThe exterior of the Royal Bank of Scotland branch in East Princes Street, next to stationers Macneur and Bryden Ltd. The picture was taken by Wilson Brothers Photographers, of Glasgow, and in front is manager John R.Dixon, circa 1936. Image supplied by Marion Gillies.Feb 08, 2009
Clyde-grocers.jpg
Clyde Grocery765 viewsRobert McIntosh Clyde, owner of the R.M.Clyde grocery at 64 and 66 West Princes Street, Helensburgh, is pictured outside the shop with members of his family. The red sandstone building was called Waverley Place, and was designed by Robert Wemyss and built in 1897, opposite the Post Office. His brother was Scotland's leading actor of his time, John Clyde. Image supplied by his great grandson, Alistair Paton.Feb 07, 2009
Sinclair-Street049_18-02-17.jpg
Sinclair Street shops1277 viewsA view of the east side of Sinclair Street, between Clyde Street and Princes Street, circa 1950. The shops are C.G.Reid ironmonger, J.Rowan clothier, Birrell confectioner, the Tudor Garden Restaurant, A.Massey & Sons grocer, Alex Munro butcher, Peacocks hairdresser, Hargan's shoes, the entrance to the Waldie & Co. Ltd. garage, two unidentified shops, Ross shoes, Maclachlan bakers.Jan 26, 2009
Woolworth-Drayton-1.jpg
Wonder of Woolies-11062 viewsLocal historian Pat Drayton is seen with members of staff outside the Woolworths store in West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, in October 1997. She won a competition to perform the official opening of a new look store after extensive refurbishment and was treated to a champagne breakfast before the opening. The store was open for many years until it closed in January 2009 when the chain went into administration.Jan 26, 2009
Woolworth-Drayton-2.jpg
Wonder of Woolies-2990 viewsLocal historian Pat Drayton is seen with members of staff inside the Woolworths store in West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, in October 1997. She won a competition to perform the official opening of a new look store after extensive refurbishment and was treated to a champagne breakfast before the opening. The store was open for many years until it closed in January 2009 when the chain went into administration.Jan 26, 2009
29 files on 3 page(s) 1