Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

Last additions - Mansions
Cairndhu-House-w.jpg
Cairndhu House361 viewsCairndhu on Helensburgh seafront when it was a family home. Later it became the Cairndhu Hotel, then a nursing home for the elderly, and it is now disused. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. Image, date unknown, supplied by Mrs Sheila Allan.Feb 06, 2017
Hartfield-House,-Cove-w.jpg
Hartfield House359 viewsThis Cove mansion was owned by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. He leased the shooting on Rosneath moor from the Duke of Argyll. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, and then became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.Dec 20, 2016
Shandon-Hydro-demolition-w.jpg
Hydro Demolition438 viewsOriginally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.Aug 03, 2016
Cairndhu,Ferniegair-w.jpg
Cairndhu and Ferniegair492 viewsTwo of Helensburgh's biggest mansions, Cairndhu and, on the right, Fergiegair — home of the Kidston family and demolished in the 1960s. Cairndhu was built in 1871 by architect William Leiper for John Ure, then Provost of Glasgow, and Ferniegair was built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman. Behind is Ardencaple Quadrant, built originally to house those who had been injured in the First World War. Image circa 1960.Mar 26, 2016
Invergare_old.jpg
Invergare, Rhu539 viewsAn old image of Invergare, Rhu, originally named Rowaleyn, which was built in 1855 to the design of architect James Smith, father of Madeleine Smith, the socialite later accused of murder, to be his family's summer home. James Smith designed, among other famous buildings, the Victoria Baths in West Nile Street (1837), the Collegiate School, Garnethill (1840), the McClellan Galleries (1855), and Bellahouston Church (1863), all in Glasgow, and Stirling Library (1863). Image date unknown.Feb 03, 2016
Longcroft-from-west-25_11_15-w.jpg
Longcroft536 viewsThe traditional view from the west of Longcroft, West Rossdhu Drive, Helensburgh, which was designed and built by noted burgh architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson in 1902. He lived there with his artist wife Maggie, nee Whitelaw Hamilton, and family for many years. 2015 photo by Donald Fullarton.Nov 26, 2015
Longcroft-from-east-25_11_15-w.jpg
Longcroft507 viewsA view from the east of Longcroft, West Rossdhu Drive, Helensburgh, which was designed and built by noted burgh architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson in 1902. He lived there with his artist wife Maggie, nee Whitelaw Hamilton, and family for many years. 2015 photo by Donald Fullarton.Nov 26, 2015
Lansdowne-Park-w.jpg
Lansdowne Park564 viewsBuilt in the 1850s and demolished about 2004, Lansdowne Park was on the east side of the Victoria Road and Sinclair Street junction in Helensburgh, opposite Prince Albert Terrace. Originally a private house, the ornate roof was added by architect William Leiper in 1896. Its last use was as a boarding house for St Bride's School and its successor Lomond School. After it was demolished, private houses and flats were built on the site. Image date unknown.Oct 23, 2015
Long-Croft-plans-w.jpg
Long Croft516 viewsA 1903 image of a drawing of and plans for Long Croft, West Rossdhu Drive, Helensburgh, designed and built by noted burgh architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson. He lived there with his artist wife Maggie, nee Whitelaw Hamilton, and family for many years.Oct 11, 2015
Mansion-1909-w.jpg
Name wanted677 viewsAn upper Helensburgh mansion in 1909 — but which one? Redtowers? Drumadoon/Morar Lodge?Jul 02, 2015
Kilmahew_Castle_2015-w.jpg
Kilmahew Castle726 viewsKilmahew Castle at Cardross was built on land granted to the Napier family by Malcolm, the Earl of Lennox, around 1290. The castle, originally a four-storey 16th century tower house, was built in the 16th century by the Napiers, who owned it until 1820. The estate had to be sold to pay off the last Laird's gambling debts. The ruins were acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow, with the surrounding estate, in 1948, and the now derelict St Peter's Priests Training College was built nearby. Image, taken on February 1 2015, supplied by Stewart Noble.Feb 02, 2015
Rosneath_Castle_print_1831.jpg
Roseneath Castle707 viewsAn 1832 engraved print of Roseneath (as it was spelt in those days) Castle. Drawn by John Preston Neale and engraved by W.Wallis, it was published by Jones and Co. of Finsbury Square, London. Completed in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and finally demolished in 1961.Dec 25, 2014
90 files on 8 page(s) 1