Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
St-Bride_s-Church-group-photo-w.jpg
St Bride's Church Kirk Session694 viewsThis image, supplied by Mary Greenwell, is thought to be of the Kirk Session of St Bride's Church at a Session Dinner in the Queen's Hotel, set up by J.Arnold Fleming as a social evening for Session members, circa 1962. Back row: Peter Slater, Jackie McKenzie, Tom Aitken, Charles Swain, David Watson, William Williamson; middle: Walter Johnson, John Allan, Malcolm Osborne, Ian Maclachlan, George Gardiner, George Christie, Hugh Hogarth, Douglas Robertson, Stanley Mill, Alasdair MacDougall; front: Jimmy White, Max Wilkinson, Norman Watt, George Speirs, the Rev Robert S.Cairns, George Primrose, Mr McColl, Ian Balfour, W.B.Gardner Henderson.
St-Bride_s-Church-sketch.jpg
Sketch of St Bride's Church507 viewsA sketch of St Bride's Church, which stood in West King Street at the junction with John Street. It is from the book 'Sketches of Churches and Clergy, published by Macneur and Bryden Ltd. of Helensburgh in 1889. Originally known as the West Parish Church, St Bride's Church was opened on March 10 1878. Its first minister was the Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. In 1981 it was united with the then Old and St Andrew's Church in Colquhoun Square to become the West Kirk, and a few years later it was demolished and replaced by a new burgh library and flats.
St-Bride_s-Church4064.jpg
St Bride's Church652 viewsOriginally known as the West Parish Church, St Bride's Church at the corner of John Street and West King Street was opened on March 10 1878. Its first minister was the Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. In 1981 it was united with the then Old and St Andrew's Church in Colquhoun Square to become the West Kirk, and a few years later it was demolished and replaced by a new burgh library and flats.
St-Bride_s-w.jpg
St Bride's Church119 viewsThe development of this church started in 1867, but the building shown dates from 1878 and it stood at the corner of John Street and West King Street. For 42 years its minister was the Rev John Baird, father of television inventor John Logie Baird. In 1929 its name was changed from West Parish Church to St Bride's Church. It closed for worship in 1981 and was demolished nine years later. Flats now occupy the corner of the site and Helensburgh Library occupies the rest; three stained-glass windows from the church are on display in the Library. Photo by Professor John Hume.
St-Columba-w.jpg
St Columba Church116 viewsThis congregation started in 1839, but did not get its own building until 1844. In 1861 a bigger building was opened next door at the corner of Sinclair Street and West King Street, and the original building became the church hall. Originally called the United Secession Church, the name was changed to St Columba in 1900. The church closed for worship in 2011, and the building in the photo is now called The Tower and functions as a digital arts centre, including a cinema. The former church hall is to become the Scottish Submarine Centre. Photo by Professor John Hume.
St-Joseph_s-Communion-1957-w.jpg
First Communicants505 viewsFirst Communicants at Helensburgh's St Joseph's Church. Image, circa 1957, supplied by John Booth whose youngest brother Harry is in the back row of the picture 4th boy from the end on the right.
St-Joseph_s-w.jpg
St Joseph's Church112 viewsThere was no Roman Catholic Church in Helensburgh until 1880 when a chapel with school was built in Grant Street where the present church halls are. The present church itself at the corner of Lomond Street and East King Street was opened in 1912. Photo by Professor John Hume.
St-Mahew_s-Chapel-w.jpg
St Mahew's Chapel388 viewsThe Chapel of St Mahew at Kirkton of Kilmahew, Cardross. For many years a derelict graveyard surrounding the ruin of a small mediaeval chapel, the land became the property of the Archdiocese of Glasgow in 1948, and they decided to restore the ruined chapel. The work began in 1953, under the direction of Ian G.Lindsay and Partners of Edinburgh, and was brought to a successful conclusion within the Octave of the Ascension, May 22 1955, when the Archbishop of Glasgow, the Most Rev Donald A.Campbell, DD, celebrated in it the first Pontifical Mass after a lapse of some four centuries. It is structurally the church which was built in 1467, but a small vestry was added.
St-Mahew_s-w.jpg
St Mahew's110 viewsThe origins of this chapel are lost in the mists of time but gravestones there have been dated to the 9th or 10th century. The earliest surviving documents which speak of a chapel at Kilmahew come from the reign of King David II (1329-70). Following the Reformation in 1560 the chapel became derelict, but from 1640 until 1846 part of it was used as the village school. In 1948 it was acquired, as part of the Kilmahew Estate, by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow. Five years later work on restoration started and it began to serve again as a chapel in 1955. Today it is believed to be perhaps the oldest place of worship in the west of Scotland still being used for its original purpose. Photo by Professor John Hume.
St-Michaels-choir-1941-w.jpg
Choir trip236 viewsThe choir boys of Helensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Church on a trip to Kilcreggan in 1941. Back row: Mrs Baird, ?, the Rev Charles B.Baird, ?, Robert Neil; middle: Robert Livingstone, Robert Hailstones, Tom Paterson, Roy Mackenzie, Robert Wright, Thomas Neil (Robert's brother), Robert Weir Lees; front: ?, ?, ?, ?, ?. The photograph, taken by church organist James P.Whimster, was kindly supplied by Robert Hailstones.
St-Michael_s-1930_pr-w.jpg
St Michael's Church dedication of tower and bells 1930630 viewsBack: C.Sinclair Smith, P.Reece, G.H.Stanton, W.Taylor, H.Taylor, G.Rodger, J.Swankie, P.Reece Jnr., A.Reece, J.Ingram; 2nd: G.R.Stocks, G.Robertson, A.Newton, ?, G.Robertson, R.Stanton, A.Paterson, D.Stark, G.Malcolm, A.Paterson, R.Lees. Seated: Capt Watson, Dr R.Fullarton, A.Wedgwood, Canon Beard, Bishop Reid, Sir William Raeburn, organist E.W.Hardy, Provost J.F.Duncan, N.Peck, J.F.Henderson. Front: W.Breheny, P.Peacock, ?, S.Myles, J.Trimmer, A.Donnachie, J.Walker, H.Johnston, G.Horn, R.Paterson.
St-Michael_s-Church-w.jpg
St Michael's Church463 viewsThe interior of St Michael and All Angels Church in West Princes Street, Helensburgh. Image circa 1909.
82 files on 7 page(s) 5