Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Rev_John_Baird_original_refurb.jpg
The Rev John Baird476 viewsAn image of the Rev John Baird (1842-1932), father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. He was the first minister of what was originally known as the West Parish Church at the corner of William Street and West King Street. It was opened on March 10 1878 and later became St Bride's Church, which was closed as a place of worship in 1981 and demolished in 1990. This image is a retouched version of a badly stained charcoal etching which is in the Argyll and Bute Council Libraries collection. His grandson, Heritage Trust president Professor Malcolm Baird, dates it at c.1880, and would like to find out who was the artist.
Rev_J_R_Hutton2801.jpg
The Rev J.R.Hutton516 viewsThe Rev John Riddell Hutton, M.A., B.D. was minister of St Columba Church, Helensburgh, from February 19 1913 until June 20 1918. Born in Moffat on August 7 1878, he was assistant minister at Palmerston Place Church, Edinburgh, from 1903-4, then had his first charge at Lockerbie St Cuthbert's from 1904-13. He was inducted at Stow in 1918, then called to Dunblane Leighton Church in 1927 and Waterbeck Church, Annandale, in 1930. He died on September 15 1938. Image from Helensburgh and Gareloch Times 1913.
Rhu_Church-1_03_10.jpg
Rhu Parish Church544 viewsSnowdrops and crocuses in the churchyard of Rhu Parish Church in March 2010. Image taken and supplied by the Rev David Clark, former minister of what is now Helensburgh Parish Church.
Rhu_Church-2_03_10.jpg
Rhu Parish Church552 viewsSnowdrops and crocuses in the churchyard of Rhu Parish Church in March 2010. Image taken and supplied by the Rev David Clark, former minister of what is now Helensburgh Parish Church.
Rhu_Church088.jpg
Rhu Parish Church504 viewsA 1906 image of Row (now Rhu) Parish Church, 26 years after its first organ was installed. The Parish of Row, including Helensburgh, was created in 1648 from lands belonging to the ancient parishes of Cardross and Rosneath, and the church was completed the following year. William Spence designed the pinnacled octagonal tower which was added in 1851.
Rhu_Church2792.jpg
Row (Rhu) Parish Church578 viewsRow (Rhu) Parish and War Memorial. From a postcard published by Winton, Stationer, Post Office, Row. Image date unknown.
Rosneath-Churchyard-1894-w.jpg
Rosneath Churchyard216 viewsAn 1894 image of the graveyard at Rosneath, supplied by Donald John Chisholm.
Rosneath_Parish_Church_(old).jpg
Rosneath Old Parish Church12 viewsSt Modan's Old Parish Church, Rosneath, stands near to its successor, and is surrounded by a graveyard. The church is now a roofless ruin, with some of the walls still standing. This site is said to have had a church for centuries, with this ruined church being the fourth church on the site. There are records of ministers stretching back to 1250. The site was apparently established by St Modan, who may be buried at Faslane. The image is from a 1908 postcard, kindly supplied by the Helensburgh Memories Facebook page.
Row-Kirk-1763-81.jpg
Second Rhu Church573 viewsA very old image of the second Row Kirk which stood from 1763-1851 when the present church and tower was built. The first Row Kirk was completed in 1649, a year after the Parish of Row was created from lands belonging to the ancient parishes of Cardross and Rosneath.
Row_Parish_Church.jpg
Row Parish Church549 viewsA 1904 image of Rhu — then Row — Parish Church. It dates from 1851 and stands on the site of an 18th century predecessor. Amongst those buried in the kirkyard is Henry Bell, whose Comet was the world's first commercially successful steamship. In 1851 the marine engineer Robert Napier built the statue which today marks Bell's grave.
Shandon-w.jpg
Shandon Church121 viewsBuilt in 1844 as Shandon Free Church, it became linked with Rhu Church in 1954. It continued in use until 1981 and was then converted into housing, with the height of the steeple being substantially reduced. Shandon Pier used to stand straight across the road from the church. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Shandon_Church009.jpg
Shandon Church510 viewsShandon Church with the start of the pier opposite, circa 1908. It became linked with Rhu Church in 1954, which led to full union in 1971. It ceased to be a church in 1981, and was converted into dwellings.
82 files on 7 page(s) 4