Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
General-Booth_at_pier-w.jpg
General Booth in Burgh517 viewsGeneral William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army, visited Helensburgh on October 26 1910 to give a lecture in the Victoria Hall, staying overnight with the Kidston family at Ferniegair. He is pictured at Helensburgh pier the next day before leaving for Port Glasgow, with Provost David S.Maclachlan saying farewell. The gentleman in the bowler hat is the Lord Lieutenant of Dunbartonshire, Lord Inverclyde. Image supplied by Provost Billy Petrie.
General_Booth9.jpg
General Booth536 viewsThe founder of the Salvation Army, General William Booth, arrives at Helensburgh pier prior to speaking at the Victoria Hall in November 1910, and is greeted by Provost Sam Bryden. Booth, born in 1826, was the son of a Nottingham builder and converted to Christianity aged 15. He became a revivalist preacher, and in 1865 he and his wife Catherine set up a Christian Mission in London's east end to help the poor. It was reorganised along military lines in 1878, and the Salvation Army was born. He died in 1912.
Junior-Choir.jpg
St Andrew's Church Junior Choir536 viewsThe Junior Choir of the then St Andrew's Church (now Helensburgh Parish Church) is pictured about 1961. The choir was conducted by Mrs McIntyre (wife of Jim McIntyre of Dow's meat counter) and then by Mrs Rita Peoples. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan.
Luss-w.jpg
Luss Church12 viewsPhoto by Professor John Hume.
Luss_Church.jpg
Luss Parish Church479 viewsLuss Parish Church, circa 1907. This picturesque village church, the third on this site on the banks of Loch Lomond, was built by Sir James Colquhoun in 1875 in the memory of his father who died along with five ghillies in a drowning accident off Inchtavannach. It has beautiful stained glass windows and a uniquely timbered roof, featured frequently in the TV soap 'Take the High Road', and has also hosted many celebrity weddings. The ancient graveyard has 15 listed ancient monuments, the earliest lie at the main entrance to the church, two slabs, each with a simple cross from the 7th or 8th century.
Luss_Church_window5.jpg
Luss Parish Church Window561 viewsA Colquhoun memorial window.
Ministers-Fraternal.jpg
Ministers Fraternal631 viewsMembers of Helensburgh and District Ministers Fraternal pictured at a Christian Unity evening service in St Columba Church, Helensburgh, in January 1972. The morning service that day had been a rededication of the church, back in use after being closed for six months for dry rot repairs. From left: the Rev Dr T.Crowther Gordon, the Rev Robert Cairns, the Rev Merricks Arnott, the Rev A.Douglas Stirling, the Rev Alan Johnston, the Rev Lindsay Parkinson, the Rev Tom Gordon, St Columba minister the Rev Andrew Mitchell, the Rev Dr George R.Logan, unknown.
Old-Parish-Church-interior.jpg
Old Parish Church interior556 viewsThe interior of Helensburgh's Old Parish Church, which stood on the seafront and later became a Church of Scotland centre for servicemen and women. Now only the tower is standing, and contains the tourist information office. Image supplied by the Rev David Clark.
Park-Church-w.jpg
Park Church10 viewsNow a Buddhist Centre of worship. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Park_Church.jpg
Park Church523 viewsPark Church at the junction of East King Street and Charlotte Street, Helensburgh, now the Buddhist Meditation Centre of Scotland. Built in 1862 as the East Free Church, it became Park United Free Church in 1900 following the union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterian Church. It became Park Church in 1929 when the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland united as the Church of Scotland. The congregation became part of Helensburgh Parish Church, and in 2016 the church building was bought by Buddhists. Image published by M.C.Robertson, West End Library, Helensburgh, circa 1912.
Peaton-w.jpg
Peaton Church12 viewsPeaton Church near Coulport, which is still in use. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Remembrance-1968-w.jpg
Remembrance Day 1968671 viewsThe official party at the 1968 Remembrance Day service at the Cenotaph in Hermitage Park. In front are the Commodore Clyde and Provost J.McLeod Williamson. In the row behind are Town Clerk Robert Mackay, Councillor Norman Glen, Bailie John Langan, Bailie Mrs Jae Gardiner, and Councillor Ian Johnston.
81 files on 7 page(s) 3