Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Christian-Science-church-w.jpg
Church for sale500 viewsHelensburgh's Church of Christ, Scientist, in West Princes Street, designed in 1956 by Margaret Brodie, is currently on the property market. 2015 image by Stewart Noble.
Coulport_church3.jpg
Kilcreggan Church490 viewsThis small corrugated iron church at Kilcreggan was opened for public worship on May 30 1869, and later became a garage. It stood at the junction of the old Fort Road and the main road called the Ferry Brae, with the Ferry Cottage shown on the left part way up the hill. It was Free Church of Scotland and had no organ to sing to. Instead the Precentor struck a tuning fork to give the congregration the right key to start the hymn singing. Before the Reformation another church existed almost on the same site.
Dumbarton-Presbytery-19671.jpg
Moderator's visit730 viewsThe Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, the Very Rev Dr Roy Sanderson, was in Helensburgh in September 1967 as part of a visit to Dumbarton Presbytery. This picture at the Queen's Hotel shows (standing) the Rev Jack Dutch of Old and St Andrew's, the Rev Andrew Scobie of Cardross, the Rev Dr George Logan of Park, the Rev Merricks Arnott of Rosneath, the Rev J.Murray of Garelochhead; (front) the Rev L.A.Ritchie of St Columba, the Rev Robert Cairns of St Bride's, Dr Sanderson, and the Rev Dr T.Crouther Gordon of Helensburgh.
Early-West-Kirk-interior.jpg
West Kirk interior552 viewsAn early picture of the interior of St Andrew's Church of Scotland, then Old and St Andrew's, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Image supplied by a former minister of the church, the Rev David Clark.
Finnart_picnic.jpg
Sunday School picnic619 viewsAdults and children attend a Sunday School picnic at Finnart House on Loch Longside, circa 1932. It was then the home of Dr Harry Miller, a past Moderator of the Church of Scotland, who is in the back row to the right. One of his five daughters is next to him. In the row of ladies in front of the back row, 6th from left is Jean Bolton and 8th from left is Mary Rae. Image from the collection of Stella Trainor, Ontario, Canada.
General-Booth_at_pier-w.jpg
General Booth in Burgh514 viewsGeneral William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army, visited Helensburgh on October 26 1910 to give a lecture in the Victoria Hall, staying overnight with the Kidston family at Ferniegair. He is pictured at Helensburgh pier the next day before leaving for Port Glasgow, with Provost David S.Maclachlan saying farewell. The gentleman in the bowler hat is the Lord Lieutenant of Dunbartonshire, Lord Inverclyde. Image supplied by Provost Billy Petrie.
General_Booth9.jpg
General Booth533 viewsThe founder of the Salvation Army, General William Booth, arrives at Helensburgh pier prior to speaking at the Victoria Hall in November 1910, and is greeted by Provost Sam Bryden. Booth, born in 1826, was the son of a Nottingham builder and converted to Christianity aged 15. He became a revivalist preacher, and in 1865 he and his wife Catherine set up a Christian Mission in London's east end to help the poor. It was reorganised along military lines in 1878, and the Salvation Army was born. He died in 1912.
Junior-Choir.jpg
St Andrew's Church Junior Choir532 viewsThe Junior Choir of the then St Andrew's Church (now Helensburgh Parish Church) is pictured about 1961. The choir was conducted by Mrs McIntyre (wife of Jim McIntyre of Dow's meat counter) and then by Mrs Rita Peoples. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan.
Luss_Church.jpg
Luss Parish Church475 viewsLuss Parish Church, circa 1907. This picturesque village church, the third on this site on the banks of Loch Lomond, was built by Sir James Colquhoun in 1875 in the memory of his father who died along with five ghillies in a drowning accident off Inchtavannach. It has beautiful stained glass windows and a uniquely timbered roof, featured frequently in the TV soap 'Take the High Road', and has also hosted many celebrity weddings. The ancient graveyard has 15 listed ancient monuments, the earliest lie at the main entrance to the church, two slabs, each with a simple cross from the 7th or 8th century.
Luss_Church_window5.jpg
Luss Parish Church Window558 viewsA Colquhoun memorial window.
Ministers-Fraternal.jpg
Ministers Fraternal625 viewsMembers of Helensburgh and District Ministers Fraternal pictured at a Christian Unity evening service in St Columba Church, Helensburgh, in January 1972. The morning service that day had been a rededication of the church, back in use after being closed for six months for dry rot repairs. From left: the Rev Dr T.Crowther Gordon, the Rev Robert Cairns, the Rev Merricks Arnott, the Rev A.Douglas Stirling, the Rev Alan Johnston, the Rev Lindsay Parkinson, the Rev Tom Gordon, St Columba minister the Rev Andrew Mitchell, the Rev Dr George R.Logan, unknown.
Old-Parish-Church-interior.jpg
Old Parish Church interior552 viewsThe interior of Helensburgh's Old Parish Church, which stood on the seafront and later became a Church of Scotland centre for servicemen and women. Now only the tower is standing, and contains the tourist information office. Image supplied by the Rev David Clark.
61 files on 6 page(s) 2