Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
West-United-Free-Church-2-1903.jpg
West United Free Church508 viewsThe West United Free Church in Colquhoun Square in 1903. Later it became St Andrew's Church of Scotland, then Old and St Andrew's, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Image supplied by a former minister of the church, the Rev David Clark.
West_United_Free_Church.jpg
West United Free Church692 viewsA 1914 photo by well known professional photographer John Stuart, of Thistlebank, Helensburgh, and Glasgow, of the West United Free Church in Colquhoun Square, later St Andrew's Church, then Old and St Andrew's Church, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Built in 1845, it remained in the Free Church tradition until 1929 when it became a Church of Scotland congregation. The William Leiper-designed front porch was added in 1892, and the building survived a disastrous fire in 1924 which left only the walls standing.
West-UF-Church-interior-1903.jpg
West UF Church interior511 viewsThe interior of the West United Free Church in Colquhoun Square in 1903. Later it became St Andrew's Church of Scotland, then Old and St Andrew's, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Image supplied by a former minister of the church, the Rev David Clark.
Early-West-Kirk-interior.jpg
West Kirk interior552 viewsAn early picture of the interior of St Andrew's Church of Scotland, then Old and St Andrew's, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Image supplied by a former minister of the church, the Rev David Clark.
West_Kirk_choir1723.jpg
West Kirk Choir683 viewsOrganist and choirmaster Walter Blair is pictured with the choir of the then Helensburgh West Kirk — now Helensburgh Parish Church — on the occasion of the rededication of the church organ in May 1968.
West_Free_Church.jpg
West Free Church589 viewsThe earliest known picture of what is now Helensburgh Parish Church and Colquhoun Square, before there were buildings in the north west quadrant in 1857. It is possible for what is now the Bank of Scotland to exist just out of shot, but what appears to be building blocks bottom right may be evidence of the bank under construction (it carries the date of 1861). Image found by church fabric convener Andrew Black and supplied by a former minister of the church, the Rev David Clark.
The-Rev-John-Lindsay-w.jpg
The Rev John Lindsay412 viewsThe Rev John Lindsay was the first minister of Helensburgh Parish Church on the seafront — later the Old Parish Church which was demolished and only the church tower remains — for many years in the 19th century, having been ordained to the charge in 1847. He died in 1895 and is buried in Helensburgh Cemetery.
Rev_John_Baird_original_refurb.jpg
The Rev John Baird445 viewsAn image of the Rev John Baird (1842-1932), father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. He was the first minister of what was originally known as the West Parish Church at the corner of William Street and West King Street. It was opened on March 10 1878 and later became St Bride's Church, which was closed as a place of worship in 1981 and demolished in 1990. This image is a retouched version of a badly stained charcoal etching which is in the Argyll and Bute Council Libraries collection. His grandson, Heritage Trust president Professor Malcolm Baird, dates it at c.1880, and would like to find out who was the artist.
Rev_J_R_Hutton2801.jpg
The Rev J.R.Hutton472 viewsThe Rev John Riddell Hutton, M.A., B.D. was minister of St Columba Church, Helensburgh, from February 19 1913 until June 20 1918. Born in Moffat on August 7 1878, he was assistant minister at Palmerston Place Church, Edinburgh, from 1903-4, then had his first charge at Lockerbie St Cuthbert's from 1904-13. He was inducted at Stow in 1918, then called to Dunblane Leighton Church in 1927 and Waterbeck Church, Annandale, in 1930. He died on September 15 1938. Image from Helensburgh and Gareloch Times 1913.
Tarbet_UF_Church2357.jpg
Tarbet Church486 viewsThe former Ballyhennan Church near Tarbet is now the Ben Lomond cafe and craft shop. In the parish of Arrochar after the Disruption there was soon practical evidence of the spirit of evangelical fervour, and money poured in for a building fund. After an open-air Communion Service on the first Sunday of August, 1843, it was decided to petition the Free Church Presbytery for sanction to build a church and call a minister. A contract for building was entered with Dunoon builder Alexander Stewart for a church to seat 250 at £240 sterling. Work began on January 10 1844, and finished on April 11 1844. The Rev Colin Mackenzie was inducted to the Parish at Balhennan (now Ballyhennan) a week later. It ceased to be a church in 1966. Image date unknown.
Sunday_School_picnic-1.jpg
Sunday School trip-2509 viewsA Sunday School outing from Helensburgh's St Bride's Church to Balmaha in June 1930. Image supplied by Chrissie Clow.
Sunday_School_picnic-2.jpg
Sunday School trip-1504 viewsA Sunday School outing from Helensburgh's St Bride's Church to Balmaha in June 1930. Image supplied by Chrissie Clow.
61 files on 6 page(s) 1