Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
General_Booth9.jpg
General Booth536 viewsThe founder of the Salvation Army, General William Booth, arrives at Helensburgh pier prior to speaking at the Victoria Hall in November 1910, and is greeted by Provost Sam Bryden. Booth, born in 1826, was the son of a Nottingham builder and converted to Christianity aged 15. He became a revivalist preacher, and in 1865 he and his wife Catherine set up a Christian Mission in London's east end to help the poor. It was reorganised along military lines in 1878, and the Salvation Army was born. He died in 1912.
Luss_Church_window5.jpg
Luss Parish Church Window561 viewsA Colquhoun memorial window.
Baptist_Cruise0761.jpg
Baptist Cruise534 viewsThe Rev Russell Davidson (3rd from left), minister of Helensburgh Baptist Church, and members of the Baptist Association on a cruise on Loch Lomond aboard the Maid of the Loch. Date unknown.
Coulport_church3.jpg
Kilcreggan Church495 viewsThis small corrugated iron church at Kilcreggan was opened for public worship on May 30 1869, and later became a garage. It stood at the junction of the old Fort Road and the main road called the Ferry Brae, with the Ferry Cottage shown on the left part way up the hill. It was Free Church of Scotland and had no organ to sing to. Instead the Precentor struck a tuning fork to give the congregration the right key to start the hymn singing. Before the Reformation another church existed almost on the same site.
West_Kirk_choir1723.jpg
West Kirk Choir690 viewsOrganist and choirmaster Walter Blair is pictured with the choir of the then Helensburgh West Kirk — now Helensburgh Parish Church — on the occasion of the rededication of the church organ in May 1968.
Tarbet_UF_Church2357.jpg
Tarbet Church488 viewsThe former Ballyhennan Church near Tarbet is now the Ben Lomond cafe and craft shop. In the parish of Arrochar after the Disruption there was soon practical evidence of the spirit of evangelical fervour, and money poured in for a building fund. After an open-air Communion Service on the first Sunday of August, 1843, it was decided to petition the Free Church Presbytery for sanction to build a church and call a minister. A contract for building was entered with Dunoon builder Alexander Stewart for a church to seat 250 at £240 sterling. Work began on January 10 1844, and finished on April 11 1844. The Rev Colin Mackenzie was inducted to the Parish at Balhennan (now Ballyhennan) a week later. It ceased to be a church in 1966. Image date unknown.
Rev_J_R_Hutton2801.jpg
The Rev J.R.Hutton475 viewsThe Rev John Riddell Hutton, M.A., B.D. was minister of St Columba Church, Helensburgh, from February 19 1913 until June 20 1918. Born in Moffat on August 7 1878, he was assistant minister at Palmerston Place Church, Edinburgh, from 1903-4, then had his first charge at Lockerbie St Cuthbert's from 1904-13. He was inducted at Stow in 1918, then called to Dunblane Leighton Church in 1927 and Waterbeck Church, Annandale, in 1930. He died on September 15 1938. Image from Helensburgh and Gareloch Times 1913.
Rhu_Church2792.jpg
Row (Rhu) Parish Church537 viewsRow (Rhu) Parish and War Memorial. From a postcard published by Winton, Stationer, Post Office, Row. Image date unknown.
Baptist-Boys-Guild3851.jpg
Baptist outing500 viewsSlightly damaged image of a Helensburgh Baptist Church Boys Guild group leaving for a week's camp at Aberfoyle. Image date unknown.
St-Bride_s-Church4064.jpg
St Bride's Church602 viewsOriginally known as the West Parish Church, St Bride's Church at the corner of John Street and West King Street was opened on March 10 1878. Its first minister was the Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. In 1981 it was united with the then Old and St Andrew's Church in Colquhoun Square to become the West Kirk, and a few years later it was demolished and replaced by a new burgh library and flats.
West-Free-Church-porch-1892-w1.jpg
1892 Leiper Porch533 viewsA ceremony taking place during the construction of the William Leiper Porch at the West Free Church (now Helensburgh Parish Church) in mid-1982. The porch was built as a memorial to the Rev Alexander Anderson, minister of the church, who died in 1891. On the platform are two choirs and church dignitaries, and a large crowd are watching. On a ladder can be seen the name of local painting and decorating firm J.W.McCulloch who were in business in Colquhoun Square until a few years ago. Image by kind permission of Helensburgh Parish Church.
Annie-Baird5081~2.jpg
St Bride's Centenary683 viewsMiss Annie Baird, then 83, sister of John Logie Baird and daughter of the Rev John Baird, is greeted by the St Bride's Church minister, the Rev Robert S.Cairns, who invited her to cut the cake at the Church's Centenary Supper in the Victoria Hall in 1967. In the background is Mrs Arthur Wylie, one of the organisers of the event.
81 files on 7 page(s) 1