Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
West_United_Free_Church.jpg
West United Free Church695 viewsA 1914 photo by well known professional photographer John Stuart, of Thistlebank, Helensburgh, and Glasgow, of the West United Free Church in Colquhoun Square, later St Andrew's Church, then Old and St Andrew's Church, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Built in 1845, it remained in the Free Church tradition until 1929 when it became a Church of Scotland congregation. The William Leiper-designed front porch was added in 1892, and the building survived a disastrous fire in 1924 which left only the walls standing.
West_Kirk_choir1723.jpg
West Kirk Choir690 viewsOrganist and choirmaster Walter Blair is pictured with the choir of the then Helensburgh West Kirk — now Helensburgh Parish Church — on the occasion of the rededication of the church organ in May 1968.
West_Free_Church.jpg
West Free Church592 viewsThe earliest known picture of what is now Helensburgh Parish Church and Colquhoun Square, before there were buildings in the north west quadrant in 1857. It is possible for what is now the Bank of Scotland to exist just out of shot, but what appears to be building blocks bottom right may be evidence of the bank under construction (it carries the date of 1861). Image found by church fabric convener Andrew Black and supplied by a former minister of the church, the Rev David Clark.
West-United-Free-Church-2-1903.jpg
West United Free Church510 viewsThe West United Free Church in Colquhoun Square in 1903. Later it became St Andrew's Church of Scotland, then Old and St Andrew's, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Image supplied by a former minister of the church, the Rev David Clark.
West-UF-Church-interior-1903.jpg
West UF Church interior513 viewsThe interior of the West United Free Church in Colquhoun Square in 1903. Later it became St Andrew's Church of Scotland, then Old and St Andrew's, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Image supplied by a former minister of the church, the Rev David Clark.
West-Free-Church-porch-1892-w1.jpg
1892 Leiper Porch533 viewsA ceremony taking place during the construction of the William Leiper Porch at the West Free Church (now Helensburgh Parish Church) in mid-1982. The porch was built as a memorial to the Rev Alexander Anderson, minister of the church, who died in 1891. On the platform are two choirs and church dignitaries, and a large crowd are watching. On a ladder can be seen the name of local painting and decorating firm J.W.McCulloch who were in business in Colquhoun Square until a few years ago. Image by kind permission of Helensburgh Parish Church.
United-Reformed-Church-w.jpg
United Reformed Church12 viewsHelensburgh's United Reformed church at the corner of James Street and West Princes Street was originally Helensburgh Congregational Church. Photo by Professor John Hume.
The_Old_Kirk_1825.jpg
First church523 viewsHelensburgh's first Presbyterian Church, built in Colquhoun Square in 1825 three years after worshippers started holding services in a tent beside King Street. The first minister, the Rev John Anderson, was called in 1827, and in 1839 he and most of the congregation were received into the Church of Scotland.
The-Rev-John-Lindsay-w.jpg
The Rev John Lindsay415 viewsThe Rev John Lindsay was the first minister of Helensburgh Parish Church on the seafront — later the Old Parish Church which was demolished and only the church tower remains — for many years in the 19th century, having been ordained to the charge in 1847. He died in 1895 and is buried in Helensburgh Cemetery.
Tarbet_UF_Church2357.jpg
Tarbet Church488 viewsThe former Ballyhennan Church near Tarbet is now the Ben Lomond cafe and craft shop. In the parish of Arrochar after the Disruption there was soon practical evidence of the spirit of evangelical fervour, and money poured in for a building fund. After an open-air Communion Service on the first Sunday of August, 1843, it was decided to petition the Free Church Presbytery for sanction to build a church and call a minister. A contract for building was entered with Dunoon builder Alexander Stewart for a church to seat 250 at £240 sterling. Work began on January 10 1844, and finished on April 11 1844. The Rev Colin Mackenzie was inducted to the Parish at Balhennan (now Ballyhennan) a week later. It ceased to be a church in 1966. Image date unknown.
Sunday_School_picnic-2.jpg
Sunday School trip-1508 viewsA Sunday School outing from Helensburgh's St Bride's Church to Balmaha in June 1930. Image supplied by Chrissie Clow.
Sunday_School_picnic-1.jpg
Sunday School trip-2513 viewsA Sunday School outing from Helensburgh's St Bride's Church to Balmaha in June 1930. Image supplied by Chrissie Clow.
81 files on 7 page(s) 1