Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Rosneath-Churchyard-1894-w.jpg
Rosneath Churchyard124 viewsAn 1894 image of the graveyard at Rosneath, supplied by Donald John Chisholm.
St-Michaels-choir-1941-w.jpg
Choir trip149 viewsThe choir boys of Helensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Church on a trip to Kilcreggan in 1941. Back row: Mrs Baird, ?, the Rev Charles B.Baird, ?, Robert Neil; middle: Robert Livingstone, Robert Hailstones, Tom Paterson, Roy Mackenzie, Robert Wright, Thomas Neil (Robert's brother), Robert Weir Lees; front: ?, ?, ?, ?, ?. The photograph, taken by church organist James P.Whimster, was kindly supplied by Robert Hailstones.
St-Mahew_s-Chapel-w.jpg
St Mahew's Chapel342 viewsThe Chapel of St Mahew at Kirkton of Kilmahew, Cardross. For many years a derelict graveyard surrounding the ruin of a small mediaeval chapel, the land became the property of the Archdiocese of Glasgow in 1948, and they decided to restore the ruined chapel. The work began in 1953, under the direction of Ian G.Lindsay and Partners of Edinburgh, and was brought to a successful conclusion within the Octave of the Ascension, May 22 1955, when the Archbishop of Glasgow, the Most Rev Donald A.Campbell, DD, celebrated in it the first Pontifical Mass after a lapse of some four centuries. It is structurally the church which was built in 1467, but a small vestry was added.
Cardross-Parish-Church-w.jpg
Cardross Old Parish Church361 viewsThe church, the second on the site, was built in 1826 to designs by Greenock architect George Dempster. It was destroyed by incendiary bombs dropped by German bombers over the night of May 5-6 1941. The tower and walls were made safe in 1954 as a memorial, with the interior raised as a lawn, and the tower was restored in 1999. The graveyard contains monuments from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.
1881-Baird-poster-1-w.jpg
Evening lecture321 viewsThe Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird and minister of Helensburgh's West Established Church, later St Bride's Church, gave a lecture on the French Revolution in the Pavilion at Blanefield on February 10 1882. Image by courtesy of Michael Dryden.
1881-Baird-poster-2-w.jpg
Evening lecture313 viewsThe Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird and minister of Helensburgh's West Established Church, later St Bride's Church, gave a lecture on Goethe in the Pavilion at Blanefield on February 11 1881. Image by courtesy of Michael Dryden.
St-Michael_s-Church-w.jpg
St Michael's Church425 viewsThe interior of St Michael and All Angels Church in West Princes Street, Helensburgh. Image circa 1909.
Christian-Science-church-w.jpg
Church for sale500 viewsHelensburgh's Church of Christ, Scientist, in West Princes Street, designed in 1956 by Margaret Brodie, is currently on the property market. 2015 image by Stewart Noble.
St-Bride_s-Church-sketch.jpg
Sketch of St Bride's Church474 viewsA sketch of St Bride's Church, which stood in West King Street at the junction with John Street. It is from the book 'Sketches of Churches and Clergy, published by Macneur and Bryden Ltd. of Helensburgh in 1889. Originally known as the West Parish Church, St Bride's Church was opened on March 10 1878. Its first minister was the Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. In 1981 it was united with the then Old and St Andrew's Church in Colquhoun Square to become the West Kirk, and a few years later it was demolished and replaced by a new burgh library and flats.
Rev_John_Baird_original_refurb.jpg
The Rev John Baird445 viewsAn image of the Rev John Baird (1842-1932), father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. He was the first minister of what was originally known as the West Parish Church at the corner of William Street and West King Street. It was opened on March 10 1878 and later became St Bride's Church, which was closed as a place of worship in 1981 and demolished in 1990. This image is a retouched version of a badly stained charcoal etching which is in the Argyll and Bute Council Libraries collection. His grandson, Heritage Trust president Professor Malcolm Baird, dates it at c.1880, and would like to find out who was the artist.
The-Rev-John-Lindsay-w.jpg
The Rev John Lindsay412 viewsThe Rev John Lindsay was the first minister of Helensburgh Parish Church on the seafront — later the Old Parish Church which was demolished and only the church tower remains — for many years in the 19th century, having been ordained to the charge in 1847. He died in 1895 and is buried in Helensburgh Cemetery.
St-Joseph_s-Communion-1957-w.jpg
First Communicants476 viewsFirst Communicants at Helensburgh's St Joseph's Church. Image, circa 1957, supplied by John Booth whose youngest brother Harry is in the back row of the picture 4th boy from the end on the right.
61 files on 6 page(s) 1