Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Military

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Lady_Commodore1.jpg
First Lady Commodore807 viewsCarolyn Stait, the first lady to serve as Commodore Clyde at the Clyde Naval Base at Faslane, is pictured with Princess Anne. Commodore Stait retired in October 2007 after two years in post, and made her home in Helensburgh.
Landing-craft-w.jpg
Landing craft446 viewsOne of the Landing Craft which used to ply from Rhu to Benbecula is pictured moored at Helensburgh pier, while crowds on the seafront take advantage of the evening sunshine. Image circa 1973.
Leaving-station-w.jpg
Heading for camp564 viewsTerritorials of 162 Battery 54th Light Anti-Aircraft, Royal Artillery, from Helensburgh leave Helensburgh Central Station in September 1939 on route to England for training. They marched from the Drill Hall in Lomond Street to the station led by a piper. Among those in the picture are D.Kennedy, Gordon Hattle, Wug Robertson, G.Bailey, G.Nicholson, Tom Rennie, Angus McKell, Tom Rennie, Lachie McDonald, John Joseph Donnachie and Ian Lawrie. They were in France till June 21 1940, having served in Rheims protecting airfields and retreating to Marseilles where they embarked on a collier, possibly the last British ship to leave. They were taken to Gibralter. Image supplied by Lachie McDonald's daughter, Mrs Betty Stewart, who remembers seeing them march off to war.
Lerwick-flying-boat5193.jpg
Lerwick flying boat855 viewsA Lerwick flying boat from the Second World War. These aircraft were tested and modified by the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment based at Rhu Hangars from 1939-45.
Loading-mines.jpg
Loading mines782 viewsA Vickers T Mk3 exercise mine is loaded aboard the Dutch submarine O19 in Loch Long off Arrochar during World War Two. Picture courtesy of www.dutchsubmarines.com
Loch_Long~0.jpg
Loch Long Torpedo Range751 viewsThis picture, circa 1950, shows the Loch Long Torpedo Range which was in use from 1912-86. The building was badly damaged by fire and demolished in 2007. Activity at the range reached a peak during World War Two, with more than 12,000 torpedoes being fired down the loch in 1944.
Lomond-St-Drill-Hall-w.jpg
On parade530 viewsArgyll and Sutherlands Highlanders Territorials on parade outside the Lomond Street Drill Hall in September 1939. From left: Lachie McDonald, Jimmy Handyside, Jock McDonald. Image supplied by Mrs Betty Stewart, Lachie's daughter/
More-territorials-w.jpg
Territorials at camp552 viewsArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders Territorials from Helensburgh relaxing at a camp in the late 1930s. Lachie McDonald is second from left back row, while Jimmy Handyside is on the right in the back row. The surname of the man at the left end of the front row is believed to be MacFarlane. Image supplied by Mrs Betty Stewart.
Patients-at-wishing-well.jpg
At the Wishing Well522 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Here some of the patients and staff are seen posing beside the Wishing Well in Hermitage Park. Image date unknown.
Pier_landing_craft.jpg
Landing Craft812 viewsTwo Army Landing Craft moored at the pier are seen from the Henry Bell obelisk on Helensburgh seafront. They were used to supply the Benbecula Rocket Range in the Outer Hebrides, collecting supplies from Rhu Hangars, and after complaints from Helensburgh people about noise from their generators they were moved to Rhu Hangars. Image circa 1965 supplied by Marion Gillies.
Polaris_sub_Coulport.jpg
RNAD Coulport641 viewsA Polaris submarine is docked at the Royal Naval Armament Depot at Coulport on Loch Long, where missiles are loaded and unloaded. Image, circa 1990, supplied by Jim Chestnut.
Portkil_Boys_19161073.jpg
The Portkil Boys839 viewsWorld War One soldiers at Portkil, Kilcreggan, on April 20 1916. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove.
87 files on 8 page(s) 6