Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Military

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Hermitage-Hospital-group-w.jpg
Hermitage patients623 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street.
Hermitage-House-croquet1.jpg
Croquet for all655 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. This photo by Helensburgh lamplighter Edward Graham, supplied by his great great grandson Ian MacQuire, shows patients playing croquet.
Hermitage-House-good-luck.jpg
Hermitage Hospital fundraising640 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Patients also raised funds. Photo by Helensburgh lamplighter Edward Graham, supplied by his great great grandson Ian MacQuire.
Hermitage-nurses-w.jpg
Hermitage nurses599 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street.
Hermitage-patients-w.jpg
Hermitage patients608 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street.
Hermitage-ward-w.jpg
Hermitage ward620 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street.
Hermitage_hospital2.jpg
Hermitage Hospital910 viewsNurses and servicemen pictured in June 1915 outside the World War One Hermitage House Auxiliary Military Hospital. Originally the home of the Cramb family, who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750, the mansion became an annexe to Hermitage School after the war. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store, and it was eventually demolished in 1963.
HM-Naval-Base-Faslane5.jpg
The Clyde Naval Base816 viewsH.M. Naval Base Clyde, pictured from Garelochhead Army Training Camp in August 2008. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
HMS_Barham_drawing1323.jpg
Gift from Officers779 viewsA sketch gifted by officers of HMS Barham, Warspite, Resolution and Wolsey to Helensburgh Lawn Tennis Club in June 1921 in gratitude for the use of the Suffolk Street courts.
HMS_Jamaica.jpg
HMS Jamaica653 viewsA June 1960 image of HMS Jamaica laid up in the Gareloch. Taken by Stewart Noble on board Tommy Wright's Gareloch yacht Catriona.
HMS_Victorious1354.jpg
HMS Victorious840 viewsThe aircraft carrier HMS Victorious arrives at Faslane in the Gareloch. Date unknown.
Ivor-McIvor-on-motorbike-w.jpg
Trying motorbike466 viewsMembers of 162 Battery (Helensburgh), 54 Regiment Light Anti-aircraft, Royal Artillery, Territorial Army, try out a motorbike in the late 1930s, venue unknown. On the bike is Ivor McIvor. Image, date unknown, supplied by Ivor's son, Colin McIvor of Largs.
90 files on 8 page(s) 5