Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Military

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Gareloch-mothballed-ship4651.jpg
Mothballed warships1428 viewsGarelochhead and the Gareloch from Whistlefield Brae, showing mothballed Royal Navy warships lying at anchor in the loch — a ship of the King George V battleship class in the foreground and two others of the class in the background. The first of these ships was laid up there after decommissioning in November 1949, followed by King George V (June 1950) and Duke of York (November 1951). Approval for scrapping these ships was given in April 1957, so the image date is likely to be between 1951 and 1957.
Garelochhead_Camp8.jpg
Open Day926 viewsMembers of the public enjoy an Open Day at Garelochhead Army Training Camp in 1973.
General-De-Gaulle-Xmas-Eve-42-w.jpg
De Gaulle at Cove673 viewsFree French leader General Charles De Gaulle, later to become President of France, visited Free French naval wounded at the World War Two Knockderry Hospital in Cove — in the requisitioned Knockderry Castle — on Christmas Eve 1942. Having arrived with his aides by taxi from Kilcreggan Pier, driven by local man Tom McNeilage, he spent an hour with the patients and distributed gifts. The Secretary of State for Scotland would have attended to welcome him, but did not have enough notice of the visit. Photo by James Hall of Greenock, which is in the Norman Burniston Collection, published by kind permission of Norman Burniston.
German-Heinkel5.jpg
A Heinkel at Rhu circa 1940942 viewsThis photo by World War Two photographer Bob Bird shows a German Heinkel aircraft at the Marine Aircraft Experimental Research Establishment at Rhu. It was one of two Heinkel He 115 floatplanes modified by MAEE and Scottish Aviation to fly agents into Europe. Reproduced by kind permission of Robin Bird, who wrote ‘Top Secret War Bird of World War Two’ about his father.
Gregory_Peck0725.jpg
Star Guest849 viewsFilm star Gregory Peck chats to two ratings on a visit to the Faslane Polaris submarine HMS Repulse. Date unknown.
HA_Fruin_sword11.jpg
Sword found in Glen Fruin966 viewsDate not known.
Helensburgh_Air_Cadets.jpg
Helensburgh Air Cadets736 viewsThe Helensburgh Air Cadet Squadron, circa 1930. Image supplied by Cecilia Dunlop.
Hel_Co_9th_Argylls_04_08_1914.jpg
Helensburgh Company 9th Argylls802 viewsThe Helensburgh Company of the 9th Argylls on the march on August 4 1914, with young admirers keeping pace. This image is from a booklet entitled 'With the 9th Argylls in France and Flanders', printed and published by Macneur & Bryden Ltd. in Helensburgh and donated to Helensburgh Heritage Trust in 2010.
Hermitage-choir-w.jpg
Patients choir615 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street.
Hermitage-collecting-w.jpg
Hermitage collection590 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street.
Hermitage-Hospital-group-w.jpg
Hermitage patients580 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street.
Hermitage-House-croquet1.jpg
Croquet for all617 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. This photo by Helensburgh lamplighter Edward Graham, supplied by his great great grandson Ian MacQuire, shows patients playing croquet.
87 files on 8 page(s) 4