Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Military

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Churchill_19681.jpg
Centre Opens734 viewsSome of the children who attended the official opening of the Drumfork Community Centre in the Churchill naval married quarters estate in 1968.
Churchill_Opening0682.jpg
Churchill Opening706 viewsThe Lord Lieutenant of Dunbartonshire, Brigadier Robert Arbuthnott, meets the first tenants at the official opening of the Churchill naval married quarters estate in May 1969.
Clyde_convoy.jpg
Last convoy830 viewsThe last convoy of World War Two gathers in the Clyde off Gourock. This famous image was taken by outstanding Greenock photographer James Hall. Image date unknown.
Commodore_Kent0322.jpg
First Commodore Leaves818 viewsThe first Commodore Clyde, Derek Kent, and his wife leave the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane at the end of his tour of duty. He was promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed Flag Officer Malta.
Convoy-1-w.jpg
Navy prepares389 viewsA rare World War Two photograph taken from Portkil, Kilcreggan, looking at a battleship and several cruisers in the Clyde between Portkil and Greenock. Donated to the Heritage Trust by Michael Wilson, the image is thought to be of vessels assembling for the North Africa landings in 1943.
Convoy-2-w.jpg
WW2 shipping386 viewsA rare World War Two photograph taken from Portkil, Kilcreggan, looking at naval and other shipping in the Clyde between Helensburgh and Greenock. Donated to the Heritage Trust by Michael Wilson, the image is possibly of vessels assembling for the North Africa landings in 1943.
Derflinger~0.jpg
End of a battleship1230 viewsThe German battleship Derflinger is seen arriving at the Faslane yard of Metal Industries Ltd. on board a floating dock in 1946. Launched on June 1 1913, the battleship was scuttled at Scapa Flow on June 21 1919 and lay in 45 metres of water until it raised to the surface in July 1939 — the last of the accessible big ships scuttled at Scapa Flow. After the Second World War she was brought to the Gareloch for shipbreaking.
Derflinger~1.jpg
End of a battleship904 viewsThe German battleship Derflinger is seen arriving at the Faslane yard of Metal Industries Ltd. on board a floating dock in 1946 for shipbreaking. Launched on June 1 1913, the battleship was scuttled at Scapa Flow on June 21 1919 and lay in 45 metres of water until it raised to the surface in July 1939 — the last of the accessible big ships scuttled at Scapa Flow.
Faslane-from-above-w.jpg
Faslane Base295 viewsA view of HM Naval Base Clyde at Faslane from the hillside above. Image supplied by Gordon Fraser.
Faslane_19825.jpg
CND Demonstration935 viewsMembers of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament demonstrate outside the south gate of the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane on March 22 1982.
Faslane_construction.jpg
Faslane base construction825 viewsWork in progress on construction of the shiplift and finger jetty for servicing nuclear submarines at the north end of the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane. Work began in 1987 and was completed in 1993. Image, circa 1988, supplied by Jim Chestnut.
Gareloch-battleships-w.jpg
Gareloch battleships782 viewsTwo battleships are seen laid up in the Gareloch. Three King George battleships were laid up in the loch, and the vessel broadside in the image is one of them and the one bow facing could be another. The three were King George V, Anson and the John Brown's-built Duke of York. Anson was towed to the Gareloch in 1951, purchased by Shipbreaking Industries at Faslane on December 17 1957 and subsequently scrapped. Duke of York was moved to the Gareloch in November 1951 and scrapped at Faslane from May 1957. King George V also came to the Gareloch and in 1958 was moved to the ship breaking firm of Arnott Young and Co. in Dalmuir. These facts date the image, supplied by Brian Cook, to between 1951 and 1957.
87 files on 8 page(s) 3