Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Education

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Rhu_School_1909-10.jpg
Rhu School 1909-101960 views
Rosneath_School19412.jpg
Rosneath School1689 viewsRosneath School at the Clachan, when the uniform was rather different from today. Image date unknown.
Row_School_original.jpg
Old Row88 viewsPupils stand outside the original Row (Rhu) School which stood on what is now the village green.
St-Bride_s-School3824~3.jpg
St Bride's School1885 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils.
St_Bride_s_dance_19732724.jpg
St Bride's School Dance2438 viewsPupils and guests at the annual dance at Helensburgh's St Bride's (now Lomond) School. Circa 1973/4. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
St_Bride_s_School.jpg
St Bride's School1715 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1911.
St_Bride_s_School085.jpg
St Bride's School1331 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1934.
St_Bride_s_School~0.jpg
St Bride's School1525 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1912.
St_Joseph_s_pupils_1958.jpg
St Joseph's Primary 2 and 3, circa 19581424 viewsBack:Christine Cavana, John McCann, Manya Masikevic (?), Peter Cannon, Muriel Cole, Simon Cavana, Kathleen Skea, Evelyn Roach, Tony Graham, Catherine Gallagher, Tommy MacLaughlan, Elizabeth McFarlane, Manus McClafferty; middle: John Harvey, Ian Donnachie, Sally Campbell, Kay Campbell, Anne Savage, Isabel Kiernan, Quentin Hefferman, Mary McClafferty, Charlie Booth, Jessie Grant, Ian Donnachie, Andrew McKenzie, Patricia Evans, Jeanette Sharkey; front: Michael McGinley, Mary Brabender, Hugh O’Brien, Linda McQueen, John ?, Betty McAndrew, Terence Neil, Graham McKenzie, Ian Mundie, Maisie McCallum, John McLelland, Maureen Reilly, James Brabender, Marion McGunigal, Peter Barnes. Image supplied by the daughter of the late Manus McLafferty, who later became a boat painter at McGruer's Yard at Clynder; names supplied by Patricia Willis (nee Evans).
St__Joseph_s_7th_grade_1958.jpg
St Joseph's School P7 19581158 viewsBack: Margaret Donnachie, Sandra ?, Patricia Connelly, Maureen Malley, Geraldine Dick, Mary Ann Campbell, George McGourlay, Caroline McGonigal, Elizabeth Neil, M.McKay, Anne McLean, Mary McCafferty, Christine Cavana; middle: Marian Finnegan, John Booth, Eillean Kenny, Eddie Jackson, Maria Kolowodski, Margaret Mundie, Rosemary Harlow, Anne McBrierty, Jim Edwards, Margaret Hockey, Lillian McDonald, Jim Kelly, Marlene Cummings; front: Maureen Graham, Andrew Donaldson, Dennis Boyle, Kitty Anne Wilkinson, Ian McDonald, Kathleen Ward, Stephen Shields, Anne Donachie, headmaster James McAuley, Patricia Haggerty, Raymond O'Brien, Catherine McGinley, ?, Francis Gray, Brian Brabender, Johnnie McGinley. Image supplied by John Booth.
The-Ragged-School.jpg
The Ragged School1600 viewsHelensburgh's first school was Grant Street School — also known as the Ragged School or the Industrial School — at the corner of Grant Street and East Princes Street. It dates back to 1853 when Government funds were obtained for the erection of a school, and in 1873 it became the responsibility of the Row (Rhu) School Board. It was replaced by Clyde Street School in 1903, and the land was built on in an expansion of the Gas Works.
The_Empress_19091.jpg
The Empress, circa 19091540 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time.
127 files on 11 page(s) 10