Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Education

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Woodend-1956-w.jpg
Woodend412 viewsSt Bride's School pupils and teachers at Woodend in 1956.
Empress3.jpg
TS Empress1533 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. In this picture some can be seen aloft. Image circa 1910.
TS_Empress261.jpg
TS Empress1415 viewsThe training ship Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image circa 1902.
TS_Empress06.jpg
TS Empress1144 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any one time. Image date unknown.
TS-Empress-band-w.jpg
TS Empress991 viewsOne of the bands which were a feature of life on the Training Ship Empress, moored in the Gareloch. They frequently played at the Kidston Park bandstand, and were in demand to play at other events. Empress was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image date unknown.
Empress.jpg
Training Ship Empress1611 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time.
Training_Ship_Empress109.jpg
Training Ship Empress891 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu, with another vessel nearby. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image circa 1908.
Three-heads2.jpg
Three Heads2023 viewsDavid Arthur (left), the first headmaster of Lomond School — formed by the merger of Larchfield School for boys with St Bride's School for girls — is pictured a long serving St Bride's head, Miss Rachel Drever Smith, who retired around 1975, and a former Larchfield head who later became the Rector of a church in the Stonehaven area, the Rev Stephen Hutchison. Image supplied by David Arthur, date unknown.
The-Ragged-School.jpg
The Ragged School1578 viewsHelensburgh's first school was Grant Street School — also known as the Ragged School or the Industrial School — at the corner of Grant Street and East Princes Street. It dates back to 1853 when Government funds were obtained for the erection of a school, and in 1873 it became the responsibility of the Row (Rhu) School Board. It was replaced by Clyde Street School in 1903, and the land was built on in an expansion of the Gas Works.
The_Empress_19091.jpg
The Empress, circa 19091523 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time.
Empress_19053.jpg
The Empress1589 viewsA 1905 photograph of the Training Ship Empress and two large yachts moored in Rhu Bay. Formerly the warship Revenge, the Clyde Training Ship Association vessel was home and school to 350-400 boys.
Coronation_tree3.jpg
The Coronation Trees1972 viewsHelensburgh pupils planted trees to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953. This Larchfield and St Bride's Schools — now Lomond School — group planted their tree on Stafford Street at James Street. From left: Heather Reid, Sheila Thom, Christopher Grieve, Catherine Burnet, Barbara Miller, Andrew Nicholson, Judith Read, the late Pat Wright, Hilda Dow, unknown girl, Susan Billings, Diana Heron, Hamish Brownlie, Alistair Martin, Donald Fullarton, the late Alan Miller.
122 files on 11 page(s) 1