Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Education

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Empress.jpg
Training Ship Empress1611 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time.
Larchfield-1956.jpg
Larchfield School 19561961 viewsHeadmaster Stephen Hutchinson with the staff and pupils of the Colquhoun Street school in the summer of 1956.
Rhu_School_1909-10.jpg
Rhu School 1909-101936 views
Coronation_tree3.jpg
The Coronation Trees1972 viewsHelensburgh pupils planted trees to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953. This Larchfield and St Bride's Schools — now Lomond School — group planted their tree on Stafford Street at James Street. From left: Heather Reid, Sheila Thom, Christopher Grieve, Catherine Burnet, Barbara Miller, Andrew Nicholson, Judith Read, the late Pat Wright, Hilda Dow, unknown girl, Susan Billings, Diana Heron, Hamish Brownlie, Alistair Martin, Donald Fullarton, the late Alan Miller.
Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg
Glen Fruin School circa 19101608 viewsThis one teacher school was built in 1840, and the building still stands today as a private house near the Black Bridge. The photograph was taken by Helensburgh grocery manager and keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, and several members of the Thorburn family were pupils.
Glen_Fruin_school2.jpg
Pupils of Glen Fruin School circa 1910-121736 viewsThree of the pupils are James, Graham, and Robert Douglas Thorburn. The picture was taken by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn.
Empress_19053.jpg
The Empress1589 viewsA 1905 photograph of the Training Ship Empress and two large yachts moored in Rhu Bay. Formerly the warship Revenge, the Clyde Training Ship Association vessel was home and school to 350-400 boys.
Hermitage_school_13.jpg
Hermitage School2559 viewsThe old Hermitage School in East Argyle Street. It was built in 1880 in late Gothic style for the School Board of Row on land formerly part of Hermitage House and made available by the Cramb family, and had only five headmasters. The architect was William Spence, of Ardlui, 23 Charlotte Street, who also designed both the St Columba and Rhu churches. It was replaced by Hermitage Academy at Colgrain in 1966, and demolished in 1967.
Hermitage_demolition12.jpg
End of an era2384 viewsPart of the old Hermitage School in East Argyle Street is demolished by Hood and Co. in July 1967.
HERMITAGE_1958.jpg
Class of '582510 viewsA group of Hermitage School pupils pictured in 1958.
Clarendon0782.jpg
Clarendon1594 viewsA very old photograph of Clarendon in James Street, now the junior department of Lomond School. Date unknown.
50s_Hermitage_concert0952.jpg
Hermitage School Concert1849 viewsPupils from 4th, 5th and 6th years who performed at the Hermitage School Concert in 1950. Image supplied by Iain McCulloch.
122 files on 11 page(s) 1