Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Education

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Woodend-1956-w.jpg
Woodend412 viewsSt Bride's School pupils and teachers at Woodend in 1956.
TS_Empress261.jpg
TS Empress1415 viewsThe training ship Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image circa 1902.
TS_Empress06.jpg
TS Empress1144 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any one time. Image date unknown.
TS-Empress-band-w.jpg
TS Empress991 viewsOne of the bands which were a feature of life on the Training Ship Empress, moored in the Gareloch. They frequently played at the Kidston Park bandstand, and were in demand to play at other events. Empress was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image date unknown.
Training_Ship_Empress109.jpg
Training Ship Empress891 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu, with another vessel nearby. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image circa 1908.
Three-heads2.jpg
Three Heads2023 viewsDavid Arthur (left), the first headmaster of Lomond School — formed by the merger of Larchfield School for boys with St Bride's School for girls — is pictured a long serving St Bride's head, Miss Rachel Drever Smith, who retired around 1975, and a former Larchfield head who later became the Rector of a church in the Stonehaven area, the Rev Stephen Hutchison. Image supplied by David Arthur, date unknown.
Third-year-Hermitage-Secondary-1954-w.jpg
3rd year Hermitage 1954480 viewsTop: Ian McLeod, Sandy Peters, David Gall, Neil Burgess, Robin Burnet, Jimmy MacDonald, Drew Buchanan, Fraser McGruer. Second: Ian Paul, Ian Still, Gordon Fraser, George Douglas, Charlie Burnet, Tony Wright, Bobby Lindsay, Ned Montgomerie, Stewart Douglas, Campbell MacCulloch. Third: Marcia Anderson, Maureen Thomson, Megan Boak, Anne Jardine, Kathleen Dunnett, Eleanor Kilpatrick, Janet Munro, Joan Muir, Mary Johnstone. Fourth: Janet Henderson, Florence Hendry, Aileen Wallace, Irene Armstrong, Kathleen Taylor, Margaret Graham, Margaret Rice, Margaret McCulloch, Helen Freeland, Esma White, Judith Peel. Fifth: Margaret MacFarlane, Elma Davis, Betty Caldwell, Ernie Kipling, Joyce Mitchell, Heather Gillespie, Helen Orr. Image from Gordon Fraser.
The_Empress_19091.jpg
The Empress, circa 19091523 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time.
The-Ragged-School.jpg
The Ragged School1578 viewsHelensburgh's first school was Grant Street School — also known as the Ragged School or the Industrial School — at the corner of Grant Street and East Princes Street. It dates back to 1853 when Government funds were obtained for the erection of a school, and in 1873 it became the responsibility of the Row (Rhu) School Board. It was replaced by Clyde Street School in 1903, and the land was built on in an expansion of the Gas Works.
St__Joseph_s_7th_grade_1958.jpg
St Joseph's School P7 19581136 viewsBack: Margaret Donnachie, Sandra ?, Patricia Connelly, Maureen Malley, Geraldine Dick, Mary Ann Campbell, George McGourlay, Caroline McGonigal, Elizabeth Neil, M.McKay, Anne McLean, Mary McCafferty, Christine Cavana; middle: Marian Finnegan, John Booth, Eillean Kenny, Eddie Jackson, Maria Kolowodski, Margaret Mundie, Rosemary Harlow, Anne McBrierty, Jim Edwards, Margaret Hockey, Lillian McDonald, Jim Kelly, Marlene Cummings; front: Maureen Graham, Andrew Donaldson, Dennis Boyle, Kitty Anne Wilkinson, Ian McDonald, Kathleen Ward, Stephen Shields, Anne Donachie, headmaster James McAuley, Patricia Haggerty, Raymond O'Brien, Catherine McGinley, ?, Francis Gray, Brian Brabender, Johnnie McGinley. Image supplied by John Booth.
St_Joseph_s_pupils_1958.jpg
St Joseph's Primary 2 and 3, circa 19581404 viewsBack:Christine Cavana, John McCann, Manya Masikevic (?), Peter Cannon, Muriel Cole, Simon Cavana, Kathleen Skea, Evelyn Roach, Tony Graham, Catherine Gallagher, Tommy MacLaughlan, Elizabeth McFarlane, Manus McClafferty; middle: John Harvey, Ian Donnachie, Sally Campbell, Kay Campbell, Anne Savage, Isabel Kiernan, Quentin Hefferman, Mary McClafferty, Charlie Booth, Jessie Grant, Ian Donnachie, Andrew McKenzie, Patricia Evans, Jeanette Sharkey; front: Michael McGinley, Mary Brabender, Hugh O’Brien, Linda McQueen, John ?, Betty McAndrew, Terence Neil, Graham McKenzie, Ian Mundie, Maisie McCallum, John McLelland, Maureen Reilly, James Brabender, Marion McGunigal, Peter Barnes. Image supplied by the daughter of the late Manus McLafferty, who later became a boat painter at McGruer's Yard at Clynder; names supplied by Patricia Willis (nee Evans).
St_Bride_s_School~0.jpg
St Bride's School1506 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1912.
122 files on 11 page(s) 1