Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Business

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Reece-sweetie-bag-w.jpg
Sweetie bag373 viewsThis is the colourful sweetie bag used by Margaret Reece at her sweetie shop, which was at the corner of Clyde Street and Maitland Street, Helensburgh, circa 1910. The sweets were made at the rear of the shop. Image supplied by her great grand-daughter Sue Taylor.
Reece-sweetie-shop.jpg
Sweetie shop389 viewsMargaret Reece is pictured outside her sweetie shop which was at the corner of Clyde Street and Maitland Street, Helensburgh, circa 1910. The sweets were made at the rear of the shop. Image supplied by her great grand-daughter Sue Taylor.
Rosneath-Farm-w.jpg
Rosneath Farm295 viewsRosneath Home Farm, built in 1801 to the design of Alexander Naysmith, served Rosneath Castle, the original home of the Campbell's. It is now on Scotland's Buildings At Risk Register. Image circa 1910.
Rosneath_corn_mill310.jpg
Old corn mill at Rosneath621 viewsTwo children wait outside the old corn mill at Rosneath as a trap approaches. Image circa 1905.
Rosneath_mill.jpg
Rosneath Mill368 viewsA 1904 image of the Rosneath Mill, taken by prize-winning amateur photographer David Johnston.
Ross_s_Hotel21112.jpg
Ross's Hotel673 viewsRoss's Hotel in Arrochar, Ashfield House, Jenniville, Prospect House, Prospect View and Prospect Bank all belonged to the Ross family. The old Ross's Hotel, which was a small temperance hotel built in the 1870s by Alexander Ross, has now changed its name to the Loch Long Hotel and grown in size to dominate the village landscape. Image circa 1907.
Ross_s_Hotel_Arrochar.jpg
Ross's Hotel648 viewsRoss's Hotel in Arrochar, Ashfield House, Jenniville, Prospect House, Prospect View and Prospect Bank all belonged to the Ross family. The old Ross's Hotel, which was a small temperance hotel built in the 1870s by Alexander Ross, has now changed its name to the Loch Long Hotel and grown in size to dominate the village landscape. Image date unknown.
Royal-Bank-interior-1.jpg
Royal Bank716 viewsThe staff of the Royal Bank of Scotland branch in East Princes Street, Helensburgh, are pictured — the Car and General insurance company calendar shows — on June 18 1939. They are (from left): Ian Somerville, Hamish Buchanan, John Dixon, Gerald Stanton, and Robert Stanton. The image was gifted to the Heritage Trust by Marion Gillies.
Shandon_Hydro278.jpg
Shandon Hydro651 viewsA card advertising the delights of Shandon Hydropathic Hotel, noted as being in North Britain, pictured as a steamer goes past in the Gareloch. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.
Shandon_Hydro_colour.jpg
Shandon Hydro332 viewsThe Shandon Hydropathic Hotel. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished. Image date unknown.
Sowing-corn-1906-Loch-Lomond-w.jpg
Sowing corn466 viewsTwo farm workers prepare to sow corn on the hillside above Loch Lomond. Image circa 1906.
Spy_s-Coalyard~0.jpg
Spy's Coalyard833 viewsA. & R.Spy, coal merchants and colliery agents, had a coalyard at 23-25 Sinclair Street — in the middle of the block between Clyde and Princes Streets — until 1964 when the business was sold to D. & G.Allan Ltd. of Glasgow. It was then acquired by William Low Ltd. who built the town's first supermarket on the site and opened it in 1966. The firm also had premises at 110 West Princes Street and a wholesale depot at Helensburgh Central Station. In the picture, supplied by Pat Drayton, are Robin and Jack Spy.
98 files on 9 page(s) 7