Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Business

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
La-Scala-staff-1920s.jpg
Cinema staff615 viewsMembers of staff of La Scala Cinema in James Street, Helensburgh, in the 1920s when the importance of going to the cinema was emphasised by the dress of the staff.
Loch-Sloy-pipes-w.jpg
Loch Sloy pipeline267 viewsThe pipeline from Loch Sloy down the hillside to the Loch Sloy Hydro-Electric Station at Inveruglas on the west bank of Loch Lomond. Work on the scheme started in May 1945, using German prisoners of war, and it was opened by HM The Queen on October 18 1950. Twenty one lives were lost during its construction. Photo supplied by Gordon Fraser.
maclarens-garage-w.jpg
MacLaren's Garage515 viewsThis garage stood at the junction of East King Street and Lomond Street until it was destroyed by fire in the 1970s, when it was Phipps Motors. Photo by Robert Thorburn, supplied by his grandson Sandy Thorburn. Image date unknown.
mambeg_hotel.jpg
Mambeg Hotel648 viewsMambeg Hotel was a small country hotel on the Rosneath Peninsula overlooking the Gareloch run by a Mrs Anderson from about 1935-39, but was previously and is now a private house called Craiglyon. Two houses to the north is Mambeg House, which David and Marion Archard operate as a Country Guest House. Image, circa 1938, supplied by Jim Chestnut.
McKellar-butcher-w.jpg
Meat delivery470 viewsHelensburgh butcher Peter McKellar, assisted by a young boy, delivers meat to one of the Helensburgh mansions with a rhododendron-ringed drive. Image date unknown.
Miller_butcher_van.jpg
Mobile butcher561 viewsThis 1960s image shows the van used by Garelochhead butcher James Miller to trade around the district. Image supplied by Winnie Bolton Miller.
Muirholm-Hotel-w.jpg
Muirholm291 viewsThe now closed Muirholm Hotel in Cardross, which was originally a private home. It has been lying empty for several years, and the Co-op has received planning permission to turn it into a 2,000 sq ft foodstore. The plans show that the conservatory at the front will disappear and the principal part of the foodstore will be to the back of the two-storey building in a new extension at the rear. Photo by Stewart Noble.
Munro-_-Pender4175.jpg
Munro & Pender's Garage772 viewsMunro & Pender's Garage was beside the Post Office in the south west quadrant of Colquhoun Square. After it closed the site was acquired by A.Trail & Sons Builders, who erected a development of ground floor shops with flats above. Image date unknown.
Norman_Drummond1435.jpg
Queen at Queen's873 viewsQueen's Hotel manager Norman Drummond is pictured on the lawn at the front of the hotel with Miss Great Britain, Jennifer Gurley, in July 1968. She was in town for the Helensburgh Lions Club Carnival in East King Street Park.
Peter_Reece_(L)_and_staff.jpg
Chimney sweeps705 viewsHelensburgh slater, plasterer and chimney sweep Peter Reece and employees on top of a roof, possibly in Maitland Street. Image, date unknown, supplied by Sue Taylor.
Press_Barons0696.jpg
Local Press Barons822 viewsA rare picture of Craig Jeffrey, founder of the Helensburgh Advertiser, with Walter Bryden, owner of the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times. Between them is Provost J.McLeod Williamson. The photograph was taken at the official opening of the Churchill naval married quarters estate in May 1969.
queenshotel.jpg
The Queen's Hotel1080 viewsThe Queen's Hotel was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.
98 files on 9 page(s) 5