Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Business

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Codona-shows-2-w.jpg
Shows no more22 viewsAn Argyll and Bute Council report has recommended that the lease granted to Codona’s Amusements for its site next to Helensburgh pier should not be renewed when it expires in November because of the project for a multi-million pound 'centrepiece' development for the town on the waterfront. The shows have been operated by the family firm in summer for several decades. Photo by Stewart Noble.
Colquhoun_Arms.jpg
Ardlui Hotel584 viewsA bus waits outside Ardlui Hotel — at that time named the Colquhoun Arms Hotel, as is the hotel at Luss. Image circa 1948.
Colquhoun_Arms_Luss.jpg
Colquhoun Arms Hotel615 viewsA view of the Colquhoun Arms Hotel at Luss when the proprietor was S.W.Colquhoun, described as a well appointed Residential and Commercial Hotel. Image date unknown.
Commodore-Hotel-1968~1.jpg
Commodore Hotel878 viewsThe Commodore Hotel, formerly Kingsclere Hotel, on Helensburgh's west seafront in 1968. It was burnt down during the firemen's strike in December 1978, when solders in Green Goddesses attended the middle of the night blaze which was fanned by strong winds. Most of the hotel was destroyed, but it was rebuilt and has since been altered and extended several times. Image circa 1973.
commodore.jpg
Commodore Hotel953 viewsThis postcard of the former Kingsclere Hotel is post-dated sometime in the 1960s, before most of the hotel was extensively damaged by a fire in the early hours during a firemens strike.
Consort_Service_Station.jpg
Consort Service Station726 viewsThe Consort Service Station, owned by the Tomlinson family, which stood on East Clyde Street next to the Queen's Hotel and closed in 2006. Image circa 1970.
Daligan-Farm-trial.jpg
Agricultural Trial649 viewsAn unusual picture of a mossland reclamation experiment conducted by the West of Scotland Agricultural College at Daligan Farm, above Helensburgh. The two plots were dressed the previous year with Quicklime, at a rate of four tons per acre, and it is claimed that the increase in potato crop in the left hand plot thanks to Albert's Basic Slag and Potash was enormous, with 6 tons 6 cwt of potatoes per acre, valued at £2 per ton. Image date unknown.
Donald-McKay-at-blacksmith.jpg
Rhu blacksmith619 viewsPainter and decorator Donald McKay at Findlay McCallum's blacksmith workshop behind the Rhu Inn, where Donald also had a workshop. Image circa 1930, supplied by his grandson Iain McKay.
Duck-Bay-opening4152.jpg
Explosive opening831 viewsSir Hugh Fraser shocked all on stage when he fired a starting pistol to signal the opening of the Duck Bay Marina business started by his friend Bobby Cawley in April 1968. Beside Sir Hugh is famous local Highland Games athlete Jay Scott.
Farm_ladies_Shearer-query-w.jpg
Farm ladies party532 viewsA FORMER Helensburgh woman now living in Shetland, Cathy Shearer, is trying to find out more about this photo of a group of women, including her granny, Barbara McAdam (back row 5th from left), who died in 1954 aged 67. The photo was taken between 1940-1954 by Alexandria photographers Leddy and Glen, probably in the Helensburgh area. At the time Barbara lived at either Callendoune Farm, Helensburgh, or Crossburn Cottage half a mile from the Cross Keys towards Luss. She would like to find out where and when the photo was taken, who the group of women are and what the occasion is. If you can help, please email the editor of this website.
Faslane_Farm_House.jpg
Faslane House204 viewsFaslane House was the farm house for Faslane Farm. The house was demolished with the building of Military Port no.1 in 1941-42. Image supplied by Alistair McIntyre.
Finnart-1.jpg
BP Finnart691 viewsA tanker unloads oil at the BP Ocean Terminal at Finnart, Loch Long. Image circa 1954, from the collection of Stella Trainor, Ontario, Canada.
101 files on 9 page(s) 3