Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Business

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Arrochar_Hotel,_colour.jpg
Arrochar Hotel587 viewsArrochar Hotel, circa 1955, after the building of a large extension. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time.
Arrochar_Hotel-1.jpg
Arrochar Hotel470 viewsA 1962 image of Arrochar Hotel and pier on Loch Longside, with Ben Lomond in the background. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time.
Arrochar_Hotel-2~0.jpg
Arrochar Hotel456 viewsOriginally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time. It has been considerably expanded and is now the Arrochar Hotel. Image circa 1925.
Arrochar_Hotel.jpg
Arrochar Hotel562 viewsArrochar Hotel, circa 1948. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time.
Auchengaich-cattle-w.jpg
Auchengaich cattle340 viewsCattle graze east of Auchengaich Farm in Glen Fruin on a sunny morning in 1910. Image supplied by Alistair McIntyre.
Burgess-Decorator-presid5409.jpg
Painters president593 viewsHelensburgh man Gregory Alexander Burgess (left) is congratulated on his election as president of the Federation of Master Painters and Decorators in Scotland at the 1952 annual conference held at Shandon Hydro Hotel by his predecessor, Robert Carfrae. Four years later Mr Burgess was elected president of the Incorporated Institute of British Decorators. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
Cairndhu_Hotel1391.jpg
Cairndhu Hotel647 viewsThe Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up, photographed by Helensburgh photographer Bill Benzie. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. Image date unknown.
Cairndhu_Hotel_card.jpg
Cairndhu Hotel593 viewsA card advertising the historic Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused, photographed by Helensburgh photographer Bill Benzie. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion.. Image supplied by Jim Chestnut.
Clydesdale_Bank_mono.jpg
The Clydesdale Bank376 viewsIn 1857, the Clydesdale Banking Company opened in the premises held by the Western Bank, with the enterprising agent of the closed establishment, Mr Orr, as their manager, and shortly afterwards they built these handsome offices in James Street. The presence of the metal railings outside the bank show that the photo was taken before the Second World War, as metal railings were removed during the war as part of the war effort. The bank is covered in flags, probably to commemorate either the Silver Jubilee of King George V in 1935 or the Coronation of George VI two years later. This photo was given to the Trust by a Clydesdale employee when the branch closed.
CMJ-Staff-w.jpg
Editorial conference160 viewsHelensburgh Advertiser editor Donald Fullarton, sports editor Tony McGinley (who used the pen name Gare Clyde), and Advertiser founder and proprietor Craig M.Jeffrey beside the 'stone' where the hot metal pages were prepared at the East King Street printworks. Image c.1970.
CMJ_Ltd__photo0136.jpg
Day of the Sale802 viewsThis was taken outside the Helensburgh Advertiser's East King Street premises in 1985 on the day the weekly newspaper was sold to Express Newspapers. It shows (from left) Helensburgh man Ronnie Fowler of Express Newspapers, an Express executive, founder Craig Jeffrey, Sir David McNee, Advertiser chief cashier Mrs Freda Aram from Garelochhead, another Express executive, co-owner Ronnie Jeffrey, and managing editor Donald Fullarton.
Codona-shows-1-w.jpg
Shows lease ended26 viewsAn Argyll and Bute Council report has recommended that the lease granted to Codona’s Amusements for its site next to Helensburgh pier should not be renewed when it expires in November because of the project for a multi-million pound 'centrepiece' development for the town on the waterfront. The shows have been operated by the family firm in summer for several decades. Photo by Stewart Noble.
101 files on 9 page(s) 2