Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Business

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Kilcreggan_spade15.jpg
Waterworks Project703 viewsThe cutting of the first sod of the Cove and Kilcreggan Waterworks, an £8,700 scheme aimed at meeting the needs of the ever growing summer population of the peninsula burgh, on November 22 1881. The spade used, which was presented to Provost Clark by the contractors, is on display in Cove Burgh Hall.

Tower_Cinema~0.jpg
Tower Cinema724 viewsThe Tower Cinema was built in the south-east corner of Colquhoun Square, Helensburgh, and battled for patrons with La Scala in James Street. Forced to close because of storm damage in January 1968, it was demolished in 1973.
Tom-Guthrie-seaplane-w.jpg
Tom Guthrie's seaplane517 viewsRhu man Tom Guthrie, son of Glasgow Boy artist Sir James Guthrie, set up a company called Clyde Flying Boats Ltd. in 1933, offering pleasure flights at ten shillings and to see Loch Lomond for £1. The aircraft, seen at Helensburgh pier, was a SARO Cutty Sark, and was kept overnight at Inchmurrin Island on Loch Lomond.
Glen_Luss_bridge-52.jpg
The Ram's Head Bridge1142 viewsThis photo by Donald Fullarton shows the Ram's Head Bridge in Glen Luss, built in 1777 by William Johns, seen in winter with little vegetation. It was also known as the Tupp Bridge. Glen Luss was one of the first of the Highland glens to be cleared after the defeat of the Jacobites in 1745, with the people forced off the land and replaced by the Linton breed of black-faced sheep.
queenshotel.jpg
The Queen's Hotel1080 viewsThe Queen's Hotel was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.
Queens_Hotel0184.jpg
The Queen's Hotel1469 viewsOriginally the Baths Hotel and home of Helensburgh's first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell, the Queen's Hotel was built by Bell in 1806. It was converted into flats in the mid-1980s. In front of the front door is the Volvo estate car used for many years by the last manager, Norman Drummond. Image date unknown.
Queen_s_Hotel1526.jpg
The Queen's Hotel852 viewsA 1907 photo of the Queen's Hotel, former home of Helensburgh's first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell. The sign states: Breakfasts Lunches Dinners, Wines Spirits Ales Cigars, Stabling and Storage for Motors and Cycles.
Queen_s_Hotel2415.jpg
The Queen's Hotel762 viewsOriginally the Baths Hotel and home of Helensburgh's first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell, the Queen's Hotel was built by Bell in 1806. It was converted into flats in the mid-1980s. Image date unknown.
Queen_s_Hotel.jpg
The Queen's Hotel757 viewsOriginally the Baths Hotel and home of Helensburgh's first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell, the Queen's Hotel — seen from the east — was built by Bell in 1806. It was converted into flats in the mid-1980s. Image circa 1936.
Queen_s_Hotel_front.jpg
The Queen's Hotel758 viewsOriginally the Baths Hotel and home of Helensburgh's first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell, the Queen's Hotel — seen from the suth — was built by Bell in 1806. It was converted into flats in the mid-1980s. Image date unknown.
Clydesdale_Bank_mono.jpg
The Clydesdale Bank362 viewsIn 1857, the Clydesdale Banking Company opened in the premises held by the Western Bank, with the enterprising agent of the closed establishment, Mr Orr, as their manager, and shortly afterwards they built these handsome offices in James Street. The presence of the metal railings outside the bank show that the photo was taken before the Second World War, as metal railings were removed during the war as part of the war effort. The bank is covered in flags, probably to commemorate either the Silver Jubilee of King George V in 1935 or the Coronation of George VI two years later. This photo was given to the Trust by a Clydesdale employee when the branch closed.
Arrochar-Hotel.jpg
The Arrochar Hotel599 viewsAn old view of the Arrochar Hotel. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time. Image date unknown.
98 files on 9 page(s) 1