Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Business

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Advertiser-car029.jpg
Advertiser promotion701 viewsThree members of the Helensburgh Advertiser staff sit on proprietor Craig M.Jeffrey's decorated Triumph 2000 car outside the then 17-19 East King Street office and printing plant before promoting the Advertiser and its sister weekly, the Dunbarton County Reporter, at the annual traders Christmas parade in Alexandria in the early 1970s. Centre is Carol Campbell, and on the right Alison Fraser.
Advertiser-staff5071.jpg
Advertiser staff650 viewsThe Rev Murdoch McPherson conducts a radio interview for the BBC in the Helensburgh Advertiser editorial office in East King Street in the late 1960s. From left: Gordon Terris, Bill Heaney, proprietor Craig M.Jeffrey, Mr McPherson, Angela Sandeman, Jimmy Allan.
Daligan-Farm-trial.jpg
Agricultural Trial649 viewsAn unusual picture of a mossland reclamation experiment conducted by the West of Scotland Agricultural College at Daligan Farm, above Helensburgh. The two plots were dressed the previous year with Quicklime, at a rate of four tons per acre, and it is claimed that the increase in potato crop in the left hand plot thanks to Albert's Basic Slag and Potash was enormous, with 6 tons 6 cwt of potatoes per acre, valued at £2 per ton. Image date unknown.
appleyard-BA-w.jpg
Appleyards Garage398 viewsThe Appleyard Garage on East Clyde Street, on the site now occupied by Tesco Express in the 1970s. Petrol cost 79p for a gallon of four star. The staff in the pic with a Rover 2600 are (from left) to right, Bill Smith, Davie Nicholson, manager Donald Stewart, Iain Cowe, Agnes Wilson and Archie Pollock. Image by courtesy of the photographer, Brian Averell.
Ardencaple_Hotel.jpg
Ardencaple Hotel678 viewsThe Ardencaple Hotel beside the main road between Helensburgh and Rhu when W.Thomson was the manager. A former coaching inn named the Ardencaple Inn, it was built in the early 1800s by the Duke of Argyll and had its own stables to cater for travellers between Glasgow and Argyll. It replaced the Cairndhu Inn which once stood in Cairndhu Park, which is now Kidston Park, and used much of its stonework. About 1860 it became a private mansion owned by Mrs Rosina Drew and her husband Peter, and about 1912 it reverted to being a hotel. Image date unknown.
Ardencaple_Mill.jpg
Ardencaple Mill642 viewsArdencaple Mill, on the left beside Rhu Road Higher. Image published by Macneur & Bryden Ltd., Helensburgh, circa 1917.
Colquhoun_Arms.jpg
Ardlui Hotel584 viewsA bus waits outside Ardlui Hotel — at that time named the Colquhoun Arms Hotel, as is the hotel at Luss. Image circa 1948.
Arrochar_Hotel,_colour.jpg
Arrochar Hotel587 viewsArrochar Hotel, circa 1955, after the building of a large extension. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time.
Arrochar_Hotel.jpg
Arrochar Hotel562 viewsArrochar Hotel, circa 1948. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time.
Arrochar_Hotel-1.jpg
Arrochar Hotel470 viewsA 1962 image of Arrochar Hotel and pier on Loch Longside, with Ben Lomond in the background. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time.
Arrochar_Hotel-2~0.jpg
Arrochar Hotel456 viewsOriginally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time. It has been considerably expanded and is now the Arrochar Hotel. Image circa 1925.
Auchengaich-cattle-w.jpg
Auchengaich cattle340 viewsCattle graze east of Auchengaich Farm in Glen Fruin on a sunny morning in 1910. Image supplied by Alistair McIntyre.
101 files on 9 page(s) 1