Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Works of art

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
GIS_(Peaty)7.jpg
Gregor Ian Smith670 viewsA portrait by Jon Peaty of well known Helensburgh artist Gregor Ian Smith. It is owned by Helensburgh and District Art Club, of which Gregor Ian was a leading member for many years.
Baird_postcard3.jpg
Baird by Conroy582 viewsLocal artist Stephen Conroy painted this portrait of TV inventor John Logie Baird. He was specially commissioned by the Scottish Post Office Board to paint six portraits for a postcard series to celebrate the contribution Scots have made to communication, in the year of 1989 when the first Edinburgh Festival of Science and Technology took 'communication' as its theme.
CRM_postcard4.jpg
Detail from Hill House639 viewsThis study of a stencilled wallpaper in Mackintosh's Hill House at the top of Upper Colquhoun Street was taken by Colin Baxter for the book 'Remembering Charles Rennie Mackintosh' by Alistair Moffat, published in 1989 by Seven Hill Books, and is copyright Colin Baxter Photography.
Pier_Print2.jpg
Waverley at Helensburgh614 viewsA print of a painting by Ian Orchardson, who lived in Saltcoats where he taught as an art teacher and died in 1997. He left teaching to concentrate full time on his interest of painting Clyde shipping, including steamers and clippers, as well as the series of six famous 'Doon the Water' stops of Helensburgh Pier, Dunoon Pier, Gourock Pier, Greenock Pier, Rothesay Pier and Wemyss Bay. His paintings give an authentic feel of shipping on the Clyde in times past, and examples of his work are highly sought after.
Rhu_(Wimbush)1279.jpg
Rhu by Wimbush568 viewsA painting of Rhu Bay in the 1890s by prolific artist Henry M.Wimbush.
Tarbet_19072513.jpg
Ben Lomond from Tarbet485 viewsA view of Ben Lomond from across Loch Lomond at Tarbet, with cattle in the foreground and a steamer in the distance, circa 1907. The artist's name appears to be P.Wansey, but the signature is hard to make out.
Old_burgh_print3152.jpg
Helensburgh 1830558 viewsThis antique steel plate engraving on fine paper measures 6 x 9 inches and shows children playing on the burgh shore to the east of the Baths (later Queen's) Hotel. It was drawn by John Fleming, engraved by Joseph Swan and published by Joseph Swan in 1830 for ‘Select Views on the River Clyde’ by John M.Leighton.
James_Dunlop_Burgess3202.jpg
James Dunlop Burgess475 viewsA caricature of Helensburgh artist James Dunlop Burgess by his friend and fellow artist Gregor Ian Smith. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
Gregor_Ian_Smith3181.jpg
Gregor Ian Smith517 viewsA drawing of Helensburgh artist Gregor Ian Smith as a young man by his friend and fellow artist James Dunlop Burgess. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
James_Gordon_Burgess3193.jpg
James Gordon Burgess538 viewsA caricature by Helensburgh artist Gregor Ian Smith of James Gordon Burgess, a keen gardener who won two silver bowls outright — for winning each three years in succession — at Helensburgh Flower Shows in the 1930s for carnations grown in his plot in Hermitage Park. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
1840-Camis-Eskan-22.jpg
Camis Eskan, circa 1840458 viewsThis painting by John Knox (1778-1845) shows the sons of Colin Campbell of Colgrain standing around the ice house above Camis Eskan. He bought the estate in 1836 from James Dennistoun, the last of the Dennistouns of Colgrain, whose family had owned the land for over 500 years. The Dennistouns were granted the lands by the first Stuart king Robert II, who had married into the family, and whose son Robert III and all future Kings would have Dennistoun blood in their veins.
1840-Camis-Eskan-11.jpg
Camis Eskan, circa 1840803 viewsThis painting by John Knox (1778-1845) shows some of the children of Colin Campbell of Colgrain fishing by the bridge in front of the remodelled house. He bought the estate in 1836 from James Dennistoun, the last of the Dennistouns of Colgrain, whose family had owned the land for over 500 years. The Dennistouns were granted the lands by the first Stuart king Robert II, who had married into the family, and whose son Robert III and all future Kings would have Dennistoun blood in their veins.
53 files on 5 page(s) 1