Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Railways

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Helensburgh_engines3213.jpg
Engines at Helensburgh873 viewsThree V1 engines — 67628, 67655 and 67616 — are pictured at the Helensburgh shed, circa 1960. Several engines were based at Helensburgh although they were nominally allocated to Parkhead. Of Gresley design and introduced in 1930, engines in this class weighed 84 tons.
Helensburgh_Upper_Station.jpg
Helensburgh Upper Station837 viewsA view of Helensburgh Upper Station from the west. A very deep cutting was excavated for the station on the West Highland Railway, which opened to traffic in 1894. Like all the local upper stations except Rhu, it was originally designed to look like a Swiss chalet, and it had its own coalyard to east of Sinclair Street where the Maclachlan Road flats are now. Image circa 1960; copyright D.K.Jones Collection.
Leaf-clearing-train.jpg
Leaf-clearing train692 viewsA view from the Sinclair Street railway bridge in Helensburgh looking east as a leaf-clearing train climbs the hill from Craigendoran. These trains runs every autumn to blast leaves clear of the railway line to increase the adhesion of trains to the track. Image taken on November 2 2011 and supplied by Stewart Noble.
LNER_ad.jpg
LNER rail advert675 viewsThis postcard-size LNER railway advertisement for Helensburgh was the work of artist Frank H.Mason. It says that a Guide can be obtained free from LNER offices and agencies and from the secretary of the Merchants Association in Helensburgh. Date unknown.
LNER_Engine_Hel_Upper.jpg
LNER train at Helensburgh Upper750 viewsA LNER passenger train on the West Highland Line waits at Helensburgh Upper Station before completing its journey to Glasgow. The engine's number is 221 and its name was Glen Orchy. It had a 4-4-0 arrangement. Image circa 1928.
Luss-houseboats-1-w.jpg
Houseboats at Luss515 viewsHouseboats moored opposite Aldochlay, near Luss, on Loch Lomond. Image date unknown.
Northern-Belle21.jpg
The Northern Belle852 viewsA special excursion with a steam locomotive emblazoned with the name The Northern Belle waits at the pier platform at Craigendoran Station for passengers to alight from steamers. It was a week-long luxury round Britain excursion first introduced in 1933 by the London and North Eastern Railway using Pullman coaches, run four time each summer until the outbreak of World War Two. Image date unknown.
Northern_Belle_train.jpg
The Northern Belle803 views6392 engine Malcolm Graeme piloting 6391 Wizard of the Moor on the 'Northern Belle' cruising train, leaving Craigendoran Station in June 1935. Image supplied by Jim Chestnut.
Push___pull_engine3224.jpg
Push and pull935 viewsThis LNER Class C15 Reid N.B. design locomotive, weighing 60 tons, was pictured at Arrochar and Tarbet Station in 1959 by Derek Penney. The class dated from 1911 and was built by the Yorkshire Engine Co. It was one of three which operated the push and pull service from Craigendoran to Arrochar, known as 'The Wee Arrochar'.
Railway-staff5.jpg
Helensburgh Station staff908 viewsStaff at Helensburgh Station, circa 1900. Front row: goods porters Mr Hosie, and John Robertson, goods clerks John Hamilton and Mr Latto, chief goods clerk John Purvis, stationmaster Mr Purvis, booking clerk Ivor McIvor, parcel clerk Tom Govan, passenger porters Tom Govan and Andrew Graham, examiner Peter McFarlane; standing: unknown, parcel carter John Gray, parcel porter Bobby Summers, shunters Robert Wilson and George Melville, foreman William Brown, unknown, signalmen Mr McIntosh and William Lyle.
Railway_engine2462.jpg
Days of steam875 viewsThe 84-ton engine 67621 prepares to pull a steam train from Helensburgh Central to Glasgow. The V1 class, a Gresley design, was introduced in 1930. Image date unknown.
Railway_engine_67613.jpg
67613 at Helensburgh805 views67613, pictured at the Helensburgh shed, was of the Gresley-designed V1 class. Introduced in 1930, this class of engine weighed 84 tons. Image date unknown.
70 files on 6 page(s) 5