Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Railways

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Arrochar-engine5.jpg
Arrochar engine842 viewsA goods engine at Arrochar and Tarbet Station on the West Highland Line. It appears to be no.9438. Image date unknown.
Arrochar-Station6.jpg
Arrochar Station939 viewsFor many years Arrochar and Tarbet Station on the West Highland Line was the destination of a local service known as the 'Wee Arrochar' which ran several times a day from Craigendoran. It was a push-and-pull train with a tank engine always at the Craigendoran-bound end. Image date unknown.
Arrochar_diesel.jpg
The 'Wee Arrochar'872 viewsThe last version of the Craigendoran to Arrochar train service known as the 'Wee Arrochar'. This one coach diesel railbus service ended in 1964. For many years the service was operated by a push and pull train, two carriages with a tank engine always at the Craigendoran-bound end of the train. This image is an official British Railways photograph taken on the introduction of the Wickham railbus in the winter of 1959, and it was taken at Glen Douglas Station and shows a northbound train from Craigendoran. Details supplied by Vic Smith, York.
Blue-train-Hel-Central-w.jpg
Helensburgh Central911 viewsA 1975 view of Helensburgh Central Station with a Blue Train at the platform. Image copyright David Christie, supplied by Nottingham Heritage Vehicles.
Brodie-engine3731~1.jpg
Train now leaving968 viewsBritish Railways engine 67619, a Class V1 Gresley design introduced from 1930, weighing 84 tons. Image supplied by Helensburgh man Bobby Brodie who can just be seen in the cab, circa 1955.
Burgh-Railway-Staff0602.jpg
Railway Staff1079 viewsStaff at Helensburgh Central Station in 1928. Back row from left: Dan Feeney, — , — , Lizzie Robertson, George Taylor, Mrs Sarah Shields, Sam McKinlay, Willie Wilkie, — . Third: Jean Wallace, Dennis Shields, Bessie McDonach, — , Sarah McDonald, Tommy Patterson, Julia O'Brien, Pat Boyce, Miss Robb, John Rafferty. Second: Norman McLeod, John McConnell, Mrs Lorimer, — , stationmaster and local councillor George Stevenson, — , — , Sandy Chapman, — . Front: Willie Busby, Duncan McInnes, Harry Stevenson, Pat Coleman, Willie Ritchie, Joe Kennan.
Burgh_engine1.jpg
Burgh Engine1002 viewsThis Gresley designed 2-6-2T V1 engine, 67603, which weighed 84 tons, is pictured at the Helensburgh Central Station Shed in 1958. This class was introduced in 1930.
Caledonian_1231.jpg
Caledonian no.123924 viewsCaledonian locomotive no.123 pictured at the Helensburgh engine depot in 1948 during an excursion to mark the centenary of the Caledonian Railway. Built by Neilson & Co. in Springburn in 1886, she won a gold medal at the Edinburgh International Exhibition that year. In regular service, no.123 worked on the 101-mile Carlisle to Edinburgh section of the west coast route. She was withdrawn in 1935 and is now an exhibit at Glasgow's Transport Museum. Image supplied by the photographer, Donald McAllister.
Cardross-derailment1.jpg
Cardross derailment1185 viewsThe goods train known locally as the ‘Ghost Train’ was derailed on October 18 1966 between the Ardmore East signal box and Cardross Station. It was on its way to Fort William.
Cardross-Station7.jpg
Cardross Station1028 viewsCardross Station prior to electrification. The building is the only local remnant of the original Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway which opened for traffic in 1858. Image date unknown.
Central_Station.jpg
Helensburgh Central486 viewsHelensburgh Central Station, possibly circa 1890.The photo was taken for Macneur & Bryden Ltd., stationers and publishers of the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times weekly newspaper, whose premises were in East Princes Street opposite the station.
Craigendoran-low-level8.jpg
Craigendoran Station1274 viewsCraigendoran Station in its heyday, with a steam train approaching from Helensburgh. The station and steamer terminal opened for business under the North British Railway on May 15 1882, and steamer services were finally withdrawn in 1972. The piers have since become derelict, and on the firth side of the line the station buildings are long gone. Date unknown
73 files on 7 page(s) 2