Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Railways

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Burgh_engine1.jpg
Burgh Engine940 viewsThis Gresley designed 2-6-2T V1 engine, 67603, which weighed 84 tons, is pictured at the Helensburgh Central Station Shed in 1958. This class was introduced in 1930.
Craigendoran-low-level8.jpg
Craigendoran Station1195 viewsCraigendoran Station in its heyday, with a steam train approaching from Helensburgh. The station and steamer terminal opened for business under the North British Railway on May 15 1882, and steamer services were finally withdrawn in 1972. The piers have since become derelict, and on the firth side of the line the station buildings are long gone. Date unknown
Burgh-Railway-Staff0602.jpg
Railway Staff998 viewsStaff at Helensburgh Central Station in 1928. Back row from left: Dan Feeney, — , — , Lizzie Robertson, Mr Taylor, Mrs Sarah Shields, Sam McKinlay, Willie Wilkie, — . Third: Jean Wallace, Dennis Shields, Bessie McDonach, — , Sarah McDonald, Tommy Patterson, Julia O'Brien, Pat Boyce, Miss Robb, John Rafferty. Second: Norman McLeod, John McConnell, Mrs Lorimer, — , stationmaster and local councillor George Stevenson, — , — , Sandy Chapman, — . Front: Willie Busby, Duncan McInnes, Harry Stevenson, Pat Coleman, Willie Ritchie, Joe Kennan.
Railway_engine2462.jpg
Days of steam884 viewsThe 84-ton engine 67621 prepares to pull a steam train from Helensburgh Central to Glasgow. The V1 class, a Gresley design, was introduced in 1930. Image date unknown.
Trains_at_Ardlui2484.jpg
Trains at Ardui995 viewsTwo steam trains on the West Highland Line at Ardlui Station, Loch Lomond, on August 13 1959. The engine which can be seen pulling a Glasgow train, no.61342, is a 71-ton Class B1 locomotive. Designed by Thompson, the class was introduced in 1942, and 409 were built.
Helensburgh_engines3213.jpg
Engines at Helensburgh888 viewsThree V1 engines — 67628, 67655 and 67616 — are pictured at the Helensburgh shed, circa 1960. Several engines were based at Helensburgh although they were nominally allocated to Parkhead. Of Gresley design and introduced in 1930, engines in this class weighed 84 tons.
Caledonian_1231.jpg
Caledonian no.123857 viewsCaledonian locomotive no.123 pictured at the Helensburgh engine depot in 1948 during an excursion to mark the centenary of the Caledonian Railway. Built by Neilson & Co. in Springburn in 1886, she won a gold medal at the Edinburgh International Exhibition that year. In regular service, no.123 worked on the 101-mile Carlisle to Edinburgh section of the west coast route. She was withdrawn in 1935 and is now an exhibit at Glasgow's Transport Museum. Image supplied by the photographer, Donald McAllister.
Engine_676313371.jpg
Helensburgh engine876 viewsV1 Engine no.67631, a Gresley design introduced in 1930 and weighing 84 tons, pictured at Helensburgh Central in November 1952.
Push___pull_engine3224.jpg
Push and pull946 viewsThis LNER Class C15 Reid N.B. design locomotive, weighing 60 tons, was pictured at Arrochar and Tarbet Station in 1959 by Derek Penney. The class dated from 1911 and was built by the Yorkshire Engine Co. It was one of three which operated the push and pull service from Craigendoran to Arrochar, known as 'The Wee Arrochar'.
Brodie-engine3731~1.jpg
Train now leaving904 viewsBritish Railways engine 67619, a Class V1 Gresley design introduced from 1930, weighing 84 tons. Image supplied by Helensburgh man Bobby Brodie who can just be seen in the cab, circa 1955.
Arrochar-Station6.jpg
Arrochar Station871 viewsFor many years Arrochar and Tarbet Station on the West Highland Line was the destination of a local service known as the 'Wee Arrochar' which ran several times a day from Craigendoran. It was a push-and-pull train with a tank engine always at the Craigendoran-bound end. Image date unknown.
Cardross-Station7.jpg
Cardross Station977 viewsCardross Station prior to electrification. The building is the only local remnant of the original Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway which opened for traffic in 1858. Image date unknown.
70 files on 6 page(s) 1