Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Railways

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
128-61994-the-great-marquess-at-craigendoran.jpg
The Great Marquess726 views61994 "The Great Marquess" is seen at Craigendoran junction on May 6 2008. This class K-4 locomotive was built for the London and North Eastern Railway in 1938 specifically for use on the West Highland Line. Image supplied by Stewart Noble.
132-62005-lord-of-the-isles-at-kirkmichael.jpg
Lord of the Isles578 views62005 "Lord of the Isles" pictured at the Old Luss Road Bridge, Kirkmichael, on May 13 2008. This class K-1 locomotive was introduced in 1949 by British Railways and was based on the Class K-4 design of the London and North Eastern Railway. Image supplied by Stewart Noble.
178-Hogwarts-Express-(Olton-Hall).jpg
Hogwarts Express880 views"The Hogwarts Express" is pictured at Helensburgh Upper Station on October 9 2007, returning south after filming one of the Harry Potter films. The steam locomotive No. 5972 was built as "Olton Hall" for the Great Western Railway in 1928, but for the purpose of filming was renamed "Hogwarts Castle". Image supplied by Stewart Noble.
187-steam-engines.jpg
Helensburgh Upper engines620 viewsBlack 5 class 45407 and Class K-1 62005 — both without their nameplates — at Helensburgh Upper Station on October 13 2007. The Black 5 class of locomotive was introduced in 1934 by the London Midland and Scottish Railway. The class K-1 locomotives were ordered by the London and North Eastern Railway but were delivered after nationalisation in 1948; they were a modification of the K-4 class which had been introduced in 1938 specifically for use on the West Highland Line. Image supplied by Stewart Noble.
1943-Engine-in-Glen-Douglas1.jpg
670 viewsWar Department Reid N.B. 4-4-2T engine no.9135 pictured in Glen Douglas in 1943 on the 'Wee Arrochar' push-and-pull run between Craigendoran and Arrochar.
1944-Engine-in-Glen-Douglas2.jpg
Engine in Glen Douglas718 viewsWar Department 2-8-0 engine no.7720 pictured in Glen Douglas in 1944.
62005-at-Helensburgh-Upper-w.jpg
The Great Britain VII493 views'The Great Britain VII' toured around Britain for several days, mainly hauled by steam engines, in 2014. Day 4 of its travels was April 29 when it travelled from Grange-over-Sands to Edinburgh. The following day saw it going from Edinburgh to Stranraer and back. On Day 6 it split in two, and train A travelled from Edinburgh to Aberdeen and Inverness. Train B left from Edinburgh for the West Highland Line and Fort William, and the photo was taken by Stewart Noble on Saturday May 3 (Day 8) when train B, returning from Fort William to Edinburgh, approached Helensburgh Upper Station. The next day it went from Edinburgh to York. No.62005 is a K-1 class locomotive built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1949.
67602-at-Helensburgh3.jpg
67602 at Helensburgh805 viewsThe steam locomotive 67602 is seen at the Helensburgh Shed beside the Central Station, where the Co-op Supermarket now stands. It is of the Gresley-designed V1 Class, introduced in 1930 and weighing 84 tons. Image date unknown.
67619-at-Helensburgh4.jpg
67619 at Helensburgh848 viewsThe steam locomotive 67619 is seen at the Helensburgh Shed beside the Central Station, where the Co-op Supermarket now stands. It is of the Gresley-designed V1 Class, introduced in 1930 and weighing 84 tons. Image date unknown.
Arrochar-engine5.jpg
Arrochar engine782 viewsA goods engine at Arrochar and Tarbet Station on the West Highland Line. It appears to be no.9438. Image date unknown.
Arrochar-Station6.jpg
Arrochar Station860 viewsFor many years Arrochar and Tarbet Station on the West Highland Line was the destination of a local service known as the 'Wee Arrochar' which ran several times a day from Craigendoran. It was a push-and-pull train with a tank engine always at the Craigendoran-bound end. Image date unknown.
Arrochar_diesel.jpg
The 'Wee Arrochar'802 viewsThe last version of the Craigendoran to Arrochar train service known as the 'Wee Arrochar'. This one coach diesel railbus service ended in 1964. For many years the service was operated by a push and pull train, two carriages with a tank engine always at the Craigendoran-bound end of the train. This image is an official British Railways photograph taken on the introduction of the Wickham railbus in the winter of 1959, and it was taken at Glen Douglas Station and shows a northbound train from Craigendoran. Details supplied by Vic Smith, York.
70 files on 6 page(s) 1