Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — Burgh

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Esplanade_50s.jpg
Old car on seafront804 viewsWest Clyde Street, Helensburgh, at the pierhead, looking west. Image pre-1945.
Esplanade_and_fence.jpg
West Esplanade755 viewsA sunny day on Helensburgh seafront at the foot of William Street, when the esplanade was fenced off from West Clyde Street. Image circa 1903.
Esplanade_putting.jpg
Esplanade and putting green788 viewsAn atmospheric picture of the esplanade and putting green looking west, possibly circa 1930.
Family_on_West_Bay.jpg
Family on West Bay731 viewsAdults and children are seen in this early 1900s image of Helensburgh's West Esplanade, looking east towards the Old Parish Church from John Street. Image date unknown.
Ferniegair-monkey-puzzle-w.jpg
Ferniegair monkey puzzle tree684 viewsThis monkey puzzle tree, in the garden of 224 West Princes Street, Helensburgh, was felled on November 15 2012. Its size suggests that it was one of the original trees on the Ferniegair estate. Its proper name is Araucaria araucana, and the tree, originally from South America, is so-called after the owner of a specimen in 19th century Britain suggested that its unusual branches would puzzle even a monkey to climb. Image supplied by David Speed.
Ferniegair_entrance124.jpg
Ferniegair entrance652 viewsAn old image of Helensburgh's West Esplanade, with the gateway to Ferniegair on the right, with Provost's lamps outside. Ferniegair was the family home of the Kidston family. Richard Kidston was Provost of Helensburgh from 1840-49, and Adrian M.M.G.Kidston was Provost in 1911-12. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Ferry_Inn.jpg
Ferry Inn, Rosneath845 viewsThe Edwin Lutyens-designed Ferry Inn was commissioned by Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, in the 1890s and rebuilt from an old pub. Bob Hope stayed there while entertaining troops at the nearby World War Two naval base. It fell into disuse, but was rebuilt again in the late 1950s by boatbuilder Peter Boyle and renamed Ferry House. Image circa 1972.
Gareloch2222.jpg
Kidston view941 viewsA view of the Gareloch from Kidston Park, circa 1939.
Helensburgh-Central16.jpg
East Princes Street951 viewsA view of East Princes Street in the days of horse-drawn carriages, with the station on the left in the days of the North British Railway. Image date unknown.
Helensburgh-from-above_156.jpg
Helensburgh from above795 viewsA colour version of a well known view of Helensburgh from above the Highlandman's road, with two steamers heading for Craigendoran pier, circa 1939.
Helensburgh-from-pier-w.jpg
Burgh from pier387 viewsA 1959 image looking down the pier towards the town centre.
Helensburgh-from-Rosneath.jpg
Helensburgh from Rosneath881 viewsA view of Helensburgh from above Rosneath, published by E.Eakin, Post Office, Rosneath. Image date unknown, probably early 1900s.
289 files on 25 page(s) 9