Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — Burgh

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
1970-Aerial-view-22.jpg
View from above1329 viewsAn aerial view of central Helensburgh, circa 1970.
Aerial_view_west.jpg
Aerial view to west1008 viewsA view of the west side of Helensburgh town centre, including the Old Parish Church, the old Granary building at the foot of Sinclair Street, the outdoor swimming pool, and the Tower Cinema and Pender's Garage in Colquhoun Square — all now demolished. Image date unknown.
Ardencaple1551.jpg
Ardencaple976 viewsAn old picture of Ardencaple. Date unknown.
Ardencaple_Castle_derelict1.jpg
Ardencaple Castle derelict1319 viewsThe last private resident, Mrs H.MacAulay-Stromberg, bought the castle from Sir Iain Colquhoun in 1923 and at last the castle returned to MacAulay ownership. Under her care the castle and grounds were brought back into good order. She died in 1931, and it faced a long period of neglect. During the Second World War it was used by the Admiralty as Naval Married Quarters, and it was demolished in 1957 to make room for a naval housing estate. Image by courtesy of the Clan MacAulay Association, date unknown.
Augusta_lodge_entrance.jpg
Helensburgh's west esplanade932 viewsAn old view of the west bay seafront, with railings along the prom and a shelter in the distance. On the other side of the road, where the Augusta Lodge cafe buildings stand now, is the entrance to the former home of Lady Augusta Clavering, elder daughter of the 5th Duke of Argyll. It was a plain, substantial house, built about 1804, with a grass plot in front, and an iron railing next the street. Image date unknown.
Augusta_lodge_entrance2.jpg
887 viewsA second old view of the west bay seafront, with railings along the prom and a shelter in the distance — and an advertisement for the West End Garage on a gable wall on the far side of the road. Beside it, where the Augusta Lodge cafe buildings stand now, is the entrance to the former home of Lady Augusta Clavering, elder daughter of the 5th Duke of Argyll. It was a plain, substantial house, built about 1804, with a grass plot in front, and an iron railing next the street. Image date unknown.
Bandstand,_Empress125.jpg
Kidston Park732 viewsA 1905 image of Kidston Park and its bandstand, with the Training Ship Empress moored in the Gareloch beyond.
Bandstand-and-pier-w.jpg
Bandstand and pier523 viewsLooking across from the Sinclair Street junction towards the bandstand, with the pier and a steamer beyond. Image circa 1910.
Bandstand.jpg
Seafront bandstand880 viewsA Boys Brigade band give a concert in the Helensburgh seafront bandstand, opposite West Clyde Street and the Eagle (now Imperial) Hotel. Circa 1912.
Bandstand041.jpg
Bandstand and Granary994 viewsA view east from Helensburgh pier towards the old bandstand, the granary, and the Old Parish Church, circa 1908. The granary was a malt barn from the 1700s, and about 1900 part of it was converted into a garage. It became a restaurant in 1934 and was demolished in 1980. The church was built in 1847 and demolished in the 1980s.
Bandstand2841.jpg
West Esplanade and Bandstand936 viewsA view from the pier looking east at the West Esplanade, where a large crowd is listening to music being played in the bandstand. Image date unknown.
Bandstand_1910.jpg
Seafront bandstand684 viewsA 1910 image of the bandstand on Helensburgh's West Esplanade, with the Granary building and the Old Parish Church beyond.
290 files on 25 page(s) 2