Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — Burgh

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Augusta_lodge_entrance2.jpg
875 viewsA second old view of the west bay seafront, with railings along the prom and a shelter in the distance — and an advertisement for the West End Garage on a gable wall on the far side of the road. Beside it, where the Augusta Lodge cafe buildings stand now, is the entrance to the former home of Lady Augusta Clavering, elder daughter of the 5th Duke of Argyll. It was a plain, substantial house, built about 1804, with a grass plot in front, and an iron railing next the street. Image date unknown.
Seafront-bandstand065-w.jpg
622 viewsThe band playing in the now demolished Helensburgh seafront bandstand in what is now the pier car park attracted a big audience on this occasion. Image date unknown.
1903_Helensburgh_west.jpg
1903 Helensburgh West816 viewsLooking west from the tower of the United Free Church — now St Columba Church — along West King Street. Image circa 1903.
1903_Sinclair_Street.jpg
1903 Sinclair Street760 viewsHelensburgh's Public Hall, the Victoria Hall, and Hermitage School are seen in this 1903 photograph from the top of the St Columba Church tower, looking up Sinclair Street, which was published as a postcard by J.Valentine & Co. of Dundee. It shows the chimney of the Malig (or Millig) Mill to the rear of the Victoria Hall.
1912_seafront_shops.jpg
1912 West Promenade713 viewsPeople stroll on the seafront promenade and the West Clyde Streets shops have their sunshades down in this 1912 image.
1924_Imperial_Hotel.jpg
1924 West Clyde Street793 viewsAn image of West Clyde Street, with the Imperial Hotel on the right. Image supplied by Jim Chestnut.
1933-Seafront015.jpg
1933 Helensburgh seafront1046 viewsAn unusual view of Helensburgh's west seafront from the pier, with two shelters, taken during the very hot summer of 1933.
Helensburgh_aerial_view.jpg
Aerial view745 viewsA 1930s aerial view of the west side of the town centre from Sinclair Street to John Street.
Burgh_aerial_view.jpg
Aerial view765 viewsAn aerial view of west Helensburgh with the Rosneath Peninsula and Firth of Clyde beyond. In the foreground are the Charles Rennie Mackintosh mansion Hill House and across the road the William Leiper mansion Drumadoon, now renamed Morar House. This photo by Ronnie Weir was published by the Loch Lomond, Stirling and Trossachs Tourist Board. Image date unknown.
Aerial_view_west.jpg
Aerial view to west997 viewsA view of the west side of Helensburgh town centre, including the Old Parish Church, the old Granary building at the foot of Sinclair Street, the outdoor swimming pool, and the Tower Cinema and Pender's Garage in Colquhoun Square — all now demolished. Image date unknown.
Ardencaple1551.jpg
Ardencaple965 viewsAn old picture of Ardencaple. Date unknown.
Ardencaple_Castle_derelict1.jpg
Ardencaple Castle derelict1307 viewsThe last private resident, Mrs H.MacAulay-Stromberg, bought the castle from Sir Iain Colquhoun in 1923 and at last the castle returned to MacAulay ownership. Under her care the castle and grounds were brought back into good order. She died in 1931, and it faced a long period of neglect. During the Second World War it was used by the Admiralty as Naval Married Quarters, and it was demolished in 1957 to make room for a naval housing estate. Image by courtesy of the Clan MacAulay Association, date unknown.
289 files on 25 page(s) 1