Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Knockderry_Castle.jpg
Knockderry Castle1359 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Photo taken in 1946.
Knockderry_Castle~0.jpg
Knockderry Castle692 viewsA 1902 image of Knockderry Castle, high above the Cove shore. Built on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, the Castle became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again.
Knockderry_House.jpg
Knockderry House1468 viewsKnockderry House at Cove was built around 1846 as a summer retreat. In 1890 Glasgow cotton merchant David Anderson decided to upgrade the house and asked the well known architect William Leiper to draw up plans. Later it was converted to an hotel, and what is now the guest lounge and the rooms above were added at that time, along with the turrets and towers which give the house its distinctive look. The lounge bar was originally the music room and chapel. Image date unknown.
Lansdowne-Park-w.jpg
Lansdowne Park564 viewsBuilt in the 1850s and demolished about 2004, Lansdowne Park was on the east side of the Victoria Road and Sinclair Street junction in Helensburgh, opposite Prince Albert Terrace. Originally a private house, the ornate roof was added by architect William Leiper in 1896. Its last use was as a boarding house for St Bride's School and its successor Lomond School. After it was demolished, private houses and flats were built on the site. Image date unknown.
Loch_Lomond_Youth_Hostel.jpg
Loch Lomond Youth Hostel1413 viewsThe former Loch Lomond Youth Hostel, Auchendennan, overlooks the loch at Duck Bay. Built on the site of Robert the Bruce’s hunting lodge, the mansion — now back in private ownership — has many original features, including a sweeping staircase with vast stained glass windows, a ballroom, and even a claimed haunted room. Erected from 1842-46 for George Martin, a Glasgow merchant, with later additions to the house by Mr Chrystal, a chemical manufacturer, it passed to the Scottish Youth Hostels Association in 1945 and was sold in 2013. Image circa 1959.
Long-Croft-plans-w.jpg
Long Croft516 viewsA 1903 image of a drawing of and plans for Long Croft, West Rossdhu Drive, Helensburgh, designed and built by noted burgh architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson. He lived there with his artist wife Maggie, nee Whitelaw Hamilton, and family for many years.
Longcroft-from-east-25_11_15-w.jpg
Longcroft507 viewsA view from the east of Longcroft, West Rossdhu Drive, Helensburgh, which was designed and built by noted burgh architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson in 1902. He lived there with his artist wife Maggie, nee Whitelaw Hamilton, and family for many years. 2015 photo by Donald Fullarton.
Longcroft-from-west-25_11_15-w.jpg
Longcroft536 viewsThe traditional view from the west of Longcroft, West Rossdhu Drive, Helensburgh, which was designed and built by noted burgh architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson in 1902. He lived there with his artist wife Maggie, nee Whitelaw Hamilton, and family for many years. 2015 photo by Donald Fullarton.
Mansion-1909-w.jpg
Name wanted677 viewsAn upper Helensburgh mansion in 1909 — but which one? Redtowers? Drumadoon/Morar Lodge?
Morar_House.jpg
Morar House1039 viewsThe sadly neglected Morar House, which for some years was renamed Drumadoon, at the top of Upper Colquhoun Street, Helensburgh, opposite the Charles Rennie Mackintosh mansion Hill House. It was built by William Leiper in 1903, a year after Hill House, for the McAlpine family who owned a shipping firm, and was later the home of the Hogarth shipping family. For some years it was a nursing home, but has been unoccupied since then and is rapidly deteriorating. Photo by Stewart Noble.
Park_mansion.jpg
Hermitage House1670 viewsHome of the Cramb family who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750. During World War One it was used as an auxiliary hospital, before becoming an annexe to Hermitage School. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store, and it was eventually demolished in 1963.
Portincaple-House.jpg
Portincaple House1261 viewsPortincaple House on Loch Longside was also known as Ferry House, and the ferry plied across the loch to Mark. An open-air church service was held annually on the front lawn on Glasgow Fair Sunday. It was the home of ferryman and fisherman Finlay McNab and his family, and also the holiday home of the controversial Nottingham MP Charles Bradlaugh. Image circa 1902.
90 files on 8 page(s) 6