Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Drumfork_House4.jpg
Helensburgh's Oldest House1739 viewsThe town's oldest house is Drumfork House at Colgrain, which stood beside the path on which cattle were driven from Loch Lomondside to the Drumfork Ferry to be taken to market at Greenock. The house, which is at the east end of East King Street beyond the railway arch, was for a time the home of Colonel George Findlay V.C., a World War One hero. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
Dunmore-House-w.jpg
Dunmore House, Rhu851 viewsAn old image of Dunmore House which stood beside Pier Road, Rhu, and opposite Rhu Pier. The last owner of the house was a recluse who allowed the building to deteriorate to such an extent that latterly he was living in a tent inside one room because the roof was leaking so badly. It was demolished in the 1970s and replaced by two matching modern houses, Dunmore East and Dunmore West. Image by courtesy of Jim Shields.
Ferniegair-from-east142.jpg
Ferniegair from the east1251 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
Ferniegair.jpg
Ferniegair1510 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
Glenarn-Rhu-w.jpg
Glenarn1024 viewsGlenarn was built in the late 1830s, and soon after the garden received plants from Joseph Hooker's 1849-50 expedition to Sikkim, notably the Rhododendron falconeri at the side of the house. The garden was extended by the Gibson family over the following 50 years after they acquired the property in 1927. The Thornley family arrived at Glenarn in 1983 to find much to be done to restore the gardens to their former glory and then to extend their scope still further, work which is continuing. Image date unknown.
Glenoran-House-mono.jpg
Glenoran House1686 viewsGlenoran House in Rhu, up the hill above the Ardencaple Hotel. It is thought to have been designed and built in 1869 by John Honeyman for Charles Kidston, a member of the well known Kidston family, and was demolished a century later to make way for a housing development — which has never happened. Image supplied by Trish Fleming.
Hartfield-House,-Cove-w.jpg
Hartfield House479 viewsThis Cove mansion was owned by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. He leased the shooting on Rosneath moor from the Duke of Argyll. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, and then became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Hartfield_House1711.jpg
Hartfield House1809 viewsThis Cove mansion was owned by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. He leased the shooting on Rosneath moor from the Duke of Argyll. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, and then became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Hill-House-construction-w.jpg
Hill House under construction1002 viewsA 1901 image of The Hill House, the Upper Colquhoun Street mansion designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh for Walter W.Blackie, under construction. It was completed the following year.
Hill-House-fireplace030.jpg
Hill House920 viewsThe Drawing Room fireplace in The Hill House, the Upper Colquhoun Street mansion designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh for Walter W.Blackie in 1902.
Hill_House.jpg
Hill House873 viewsThe Hill House, the Upper Colquhoun Street mansion designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh for Walter W.Blackie in 1902.
Hill_House_(McFadzean).jpg
Hill House sketch856 viewsA 1991 pen and ink sketch of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh mansion Hill House in Upper Colquhoun Street by university lecturer, landscape architect and designer Susan McFadzean, wife of architect Ronald McFadzean, author of ‘The Life and Work of Alexander Thomson’. It is a limited edition print, and is available from her at her home, 45 Earlspark Drive, Bieldside, Aberdeen, AB15 9AH. An unmounted print is £14.99 plus £2.99 postage and packing.
91 files on 8 page(s) 4