Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Cairndhu_Hotel.jpg
Cairndhu1397 viewsThe Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused, photographed by Helensburgh photographer Bill Benzie. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. Image date unknown.
Cameron_House.jpg
Cameron House977 viewsCameron House at Duck Bay, Loch Lomond, before it became a luxury hotel. It was the family home of Patrick Telfer Smollett and his wife Gina, and was surrounded by 25 acres of gardens which for some years he operated as a Bear Park before he sold the property in 1986. The 18th century baronial mansion — for a time the home of 18th century novelist and poet Tobias Smollett — was steeped in Scottish history, and contained many unique and unusual collections. For three centuries, the Cameron House estate remained in the hands of the Smollett family, originally merchants and shipbuilders from Dumbarton and later wealthy landed gentry.
Cameron_House033.jpg
Cameron House912 viewsAn aerial view of Cameron House on Loch Lomondside, near Alexandria, before it became a luxury hotel. It was the family home of Patrick Telfer Smollett and his wife Gina, surrounded by 25 acres of gardens which for some years he operated as a Bear Park before he sold the property in 1986. The 18th century baronial mansion — for a time the home of 18th century novelist and poet Tobias Smollett — was steeped in Scottish history, and contained many unique and unusual collections. For three centuries, the Cameron House estate remained in the hands of the Smollett family, originally merchants and shipbuilders from Dumbarton and later wealthy landed gentry. Image date unknown.
Cameron_House087.jpg
Cameron House855 viewsCameron House at Duck Bay, Loch Lomond, before it became a luxury hotel. It was the family home of Patrick Telfer Smollett and his wife Gina, surrounded by 25 acres of gardens which for some years he operated as a Bear Park before he sold the property in 1986. The 18th century baronial mansion — for a time the home of 18th century novelist and poet Tobias Smollett — was steeped in Scottish history, and contained many unique and unusual collections. Image circa 1906.
Camis_Eskan_1972-2.jpg
Camis Eskan House1219 viewsAn aerial view of Camis Eskan House, circa 1972, when it was in use as a hospital. The main part was built in 1648 by the Dennistouns, who had a royal connection through marriage. In 1836 the mansion was sold to Colin Campbell from Renfrewshire, and his descendants owned it until November 1946 when it was bought by the then Dunbartonshire County Council. Well known Helensburgh architect A.N.Paterson was commissioned by the then tenant, lawyer Leonard Gow, to modernise and extend the building in 1915. During the Second World War it was requisitioned by the Government and used as a hospital for Polish Army casualties, then rented to the County Council for use as a hospital for, first, TB patients, then infectious diseases, then maternity, and finally geriatric use. In 1979 it was developed for private flats and dwellings. Image supplied by Robert Reid.
Camis_Eskan_House_1972-1.jpg
Camis Eskan House1161 viewsAn aerial view of Camis Eskan House, circa 1972, when it was in use as a hospital. The main part was built in 1648 by the Dennistouns, who had a royal connection through marriage. In 1836 the mansion was sold to Colin Campbell from Renfrewshire, and his descendants owned it until November 1946 when it was bought by the then Dunbartonshire County Council. Well known Helensburgh architect A.N.Paterson was commissioned by the then tenant, lawyer Leonard Gow, to modernise and extend the building in 1915. During the Second World War it was requisitioned by the Government and used as a hospital for Polish Army casualties, then rented to the County Council for use as a hospital for, first, TB patients, then infectious diseases, then maternity, and finally geriatric use. In 1979 it was developed for private flats and dwellings. Image supplied by Robert Reid.
Craigrownie_Castle.jpg
Craigrownie Castle817 viewsCraigrownie Castle, Cove, is a B listed building designed by world renowned architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson in 1852, and recently renovated. There are six reception rooms, including an 800 sq ft ballroom, drawing room, library, morning room, dining room and informal sitting room. Thomson was 34 at the time and better known for his grand classic Grecian architecture in Glasgow. It was built as a weekend retreat by John McElroy, a wealthy Glasgow iron, railway and property magnate. Image circa 1914.
Craigrownie_Castle298.jpg
Craigrownie Castle829 viewsCraigrownie Castle, Cove, is a B listed building designed by world renowned architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson in 1852, and recently renovated. There are six reception rooms, including an 800 sq ft ballroom, drawing room, library, morning room, dining room and informal sitting room. Thomson was 34 at the time and better known for his grand classic Grecian architecture in Glasgow. It was built as a weekend retreat by John McElroy, a wealthy Glasgow iron, railway and property magnate. Image date unknown.
Dalriada_lounge.jpg
Crimea lounge1106 viewsThe lounge of Crimea at Portincaple, full of paintings by eminent artist James Kay RSA RSW who lived there for 33 years and worked in a studio in Glasgow. It belonged to his brother Alec, a shipping office manager. The name was chosen when they moved there in 1909 because his father was a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy during the Crimean War, serving in the Black Sea area. James painted an elaborate mural of scenes from the Crimean on the walls of the main entrance. Image date unknown.
Dalriada_Portincaple.jpg
Crimea, Portincaple988 viewsCrimea, now renamed Dalriada, was the home of eminent artist James Kay RSA RSW who lived there for 33 years and worked in a studio at 79 West Regent Street, Glasgow. It belonged to his brother Alec, a shipping office manager. The name was chosen when they moved there in 1909 because his father was a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy during the Crimean War, serving in the Black Sea area. James painted an elaborate mural of scenes from the Crimean War on the walls of the main entrance. Image date unknown.
Drimard-w.jpg
Drimard731 viewsDrimard in West Lennox Drive, Helensburgh, when it was the home of J.Douglas Hume. Designed by David Bateman Hutton, it was built in 1926.
Drumfork_House4.jpg
Helensburgh's Oldest House1611 viewsThe town's oldest house is Drumfork House at Colgrain, which stood beside the path on which cattle were driven from Loch Lomondside to the Drumfork Ferry to be taken to market at Greenock. The house, which is at the east end of East King Street beyond the railway arch, was for a time the home of Colonel George Findlay V.C., a World War One hero. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
90 files on 8 page(s) 3