Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Ardenvohr.jpg
Ardenvohr1207 viewsThe villa Ardenvohr at Rhu, built in 1857 to the design of local architect Thomas Gildard and at various times the home of the Muir and Hoggans families, taken from the top of the Rhu Church tower. It became the Royal Northern Yacht Club clubhouse in 1937, and in 1978 the club's name changed to the Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club. Image circa 1952.
Bannachra_Castle.jpg
Bannachra Castle1107 viewsThe ruins of Bannachra Castle on the Luss road from Helensburgh, between Cross Keys and Arden. The Castle is in roughly the shape of a parallelogram, 46 feet long and 24 feet wide, and is three storeys high with a barrel vaulted basement, a main or hall floor and an attic floor. It is currently owned by Hamish Lumsden, whose family has owned the lands on which the castle is since the 19th century. Reputed to be on the site of a former construction, it was probably built in the 16th century. Image circa 1940.
bellcairn1913-2.jpg
Bellcairn House1682 viewsA Cove mansion designed by architect William Landless in 1876.
Bloomhill-w.jpg
Bloomhill941 viewsBloomhill at Cardross, circa 1910, with Whitton the coachman and the coach. The grade B listed mansion, built about 1838 for Alexander Ferrier, became a childrens home after the Second World War, and is now a care home. Image supplied by Colin Donald.
Cairndhu,-Ferniegair~0.jpg
Cairndhu and Ferniegair1650 viewsTwo of Helensburgh's biggest mansions, Cairndhu and, on the right, Fergiegair — home of the Kidston family and demolished in the 1960s. Cairndhu was built in 1871 by architect William Leiper for John Ure, then Provost of Glasgow, and Ferniegair was built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman. Behind is Ardencaple Quadrant, built originally to house those who had been injured in the First World War. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan, circa 1945.
Cairndhu,Ferniegair-w.jpg
Cairndhu and Ferniegair472 viewsTwo of Helensburgh's biggest mansions, Cairndhu and, on the right, Fergiegair — home of the Kidston family and demolished in the 1960s. Cairndhu was built in 1871 by architect William Leiper for John Ure, then Provost of Glasgow, and Ferniegair was built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman. Behind is Ardencaple Quadrant, built originally to house those who had been injured in the First World War. Image circa 1960.
Cairndhu-House-w.jpg
Cairndhu House332 viewsCairndhu on Helensburgh seafront when it was a family home. Later it became the Cairndhu Hotel, then a nursing home for the elderly, and it is now disused. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. Image, date unknown, supplied by Mrs Sheila Allan.
cairndhu_04.jpg
Cairndhu pillar798 viewsA pillar at the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
cairndhu_05.jpg
Cairndhu front door815 viewsThe decorated front door of the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
cairndhu_06.jpg
Cairndhu panels805 viewsDecorated panels in need of repair at the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
cairndhu_07.jpg
Cairndhu carving816 viewsA cafrving high on the wall of the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
cairndhu_08.jpg
Cairndhu carving799 viewsA carving above a window at the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
90 files on 8 page(s) 2