Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Aldersyde.jpg
Aldersyde733 viewsAlderside in Garelochhead pictured about 1919, when it was owned by market gardener Alexander Thomson.
Arden-House~0.jpg
Arden House1275 viewsOne of the big Loch Lomond mansions, now converted into flats.
ardencaplecastle1.jpg
Ardencaple Castle1621 viewsOnly one tower still remains of this ancient seat of the Clan MacAulay. Image from a postcard dated 1901.
Ardencaple_Castle1241.jpg
Ardencaple Castle1453 viewsOnly one tower still remains of this ancient seat of the Clan MacAuley. Image date unknown.
Ardencaple_Castle.jpg
Ardencaple Castle1148 viewsA 1915 view of Ardencaple Castle, the ancient seat of the Clan MacAulay. All but one tower of the building was demolished in 1957, and a naval housing estate was built on the site.
Ardencaple_House.jpg
Ardencaple House662 viewsArdencaple House when it was a private dwelling. Originally a coaching inn, it was built in the early 1800s by the Duke of Argyll and had its own stables to cater for travellers between Glasgow and Argyll. It replaced the Cairndhu Inn which once stood in Cairndhu Park, which is now Kidston Park, and used much of its stonework. About 1860 it became a private mansion owned by Mrs Rosina Drew and her husband Peter, and about 1912 it reverted to being the Ardencaple Hotel. Image circa 1900.
Ardenconnel_house.jpg
Ardenconnel House1680 viewsA B-listed mansion in Rhu, built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century. Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Date unknown.
Ardenconnel_House2211.jpg
Ardenconnel House1526 viewsA B-listed mansion in Rhu, built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century. Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Image circa 1905.
Ardenconnel_House.jpg
Ardenconnel House, Rhu1209 viewsA mid-1930s view of Ardenconnel House at Rhu. The B-listed mansion was built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century, and Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Image by Jean M.Watson.
Ardenvohr.jpg
Ardenvohr1229 viewsThe villa Ardenvohr at Rhu, built in 1857 to the design of local architect Thomas Gildard and at various times the home of the Muir and Hoggans families, taken from the top of the Rhu Church tower. It became the Royal Northern Yacht Club clubhouse in 1937, and in 1978 the club's name changed to the Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club. Image circa 1952.
Bannachra_Castle.jpg
Bannachra Castle1127 viewsThe ruins of Bannachra Castle on the Luss road from Helensburgh, between Cross Keys and Arden. The Castle is in roughly the shape of a parallelogram, 46 feet long and 24 feet wide, and is three storeys high with a barrel vaulted basement, a main or hall floor and an attic floor. It is currently owned by Hamish Lumsden, whose family has owned the lands on which the castle is since the 19th century. Reputed to be on the site of a former construction, it was probably built in the 16th century. Image circa 1940.
bellcairn1913-2.jpg
Bellcairn House1709 viewsA Cove mansion designed by architect William Landless in 1876.
90 files on 8 page(s) 1