Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — General

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
SS_Helensburgh115.jpg
Sailing ship Helensburgh564 viewsThe three masted iron full-rigged ship named Helensburgh, a fine main skysail yarder, was built by Robert Duncan of Port Glasgow in 1883 for Thom & Cameron of Glasgow, but in 1906 they sold her to a Norwegian, M.H.Bruusgaard of Drammen, who renamed her Marita. During World War One she was stopped and sunk on April 23 1917 by a German submarine, U-82, about 110 miles west of St Kilda while on passage from Buenos Aires to Aarhus with a cargo of grain. Image date unknown.
Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg
Uncle Hector's car28 viewsAn image of an old car, possibly a Sunbeam or Argyll tourer, which has a note on the back: "Uncle Hector driving a car at Helensburgh." The single G registration plate is Glasgow from 1903-21. More information would be welcomed. Image supplied by Donald John Chisholm.
Vintage-car-crash115.jpg
Vintage car crash669 viewsMacneur & Bryden Ltd. in East Princes Street, Helensburgh, publishers of the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times weekly newspaper, printed and published this road accident photograph as a postcard, with the heading 'The Effect of a Motor Collision at Helensburgh'. It took place on June 4 1906 at the junction of Glasgow Street and West Princes Street. The car on the left belonged to Mr F.McAlpine of Helensburgh, and the other to Mr Kirkpatrick of Lagbuie, Shandon.
Waldie_patients_outing3393.jpg
Waldie's Hospital Outing648 viewsServicemen patients are pictured outside the World War One Hermitage House Auxiliary Military Hospital, leaving for an outing in 1917 in a carriage from Waldie & Co. The driver is Mr Reynolds, who was also the firm's undertaker. Originally the home of the Cramb family, who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750, the mansion became an annexe to Hermitage School after the war. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store, and it was eventually demolished in 1963.
West_Highland_Line2368.jpg
West Highland Line569 viewsAn old picture of the West Highland railway line viaduct beside Loch Lomond, with a steamer in the distance. Image date unknown.
Whistlefield_Station2266.jpg
Whistlefield Station607 viewsA view of Whistlefield Station, with Loch Long and Loch Goil in the background. Date unknown.
   
42 files on 4 page(s) 4