Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — General

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Whistlefield_Station2266.jpg
Whistlefield Station607 viewsA view of Whistlefield Station, with Loch Long and Loch Goil in the background. Date unknown.
West_Highland_Line2368.jpg
West Highland Line569 viewsAn old picture of the West Highland railway line viaduct beside Loch Lomond, with a steamer in the distance. Image date unknown.
Waldie_patients_outing3393.jpg
Waldie's Hospital Outing648 viewsServicemen patients are pictured outside the World War One Hermitage House Auxiliary Military Hospital, leaving for an outing in 1917 in a carriage from Waldie & Co. The driver is Mr Reynolds, who was also the firm's undertaker. Originally the home of the Cramb family, who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750, the mansion became an annexe to Hermitage School after the war. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store, and it was eventually demolished in 1963.
Vintage-car-crash115.jpg
Vintage car crash669 viewsMacneur & Bryden Ltd. in East Princes Street, Helensburgh, publishers of the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times weekly newspaper, printed and published this road accident photograph as a postcard, with the heading 'The Effect of a Motor Collision at Helensburgh'. It took place on June 4 1906 at the junction of Glasgow Street and West Princes Street. The car on the left belonged to Mr F.McAlpine of Helensburgh, and the other to Mr Kirkpatrick of Lagbuie, Shandon.
Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg
Uncle Hector's car26 viewsAn image of an old car, possibly a Sunbeam or Argyll tourer, which has a note on the back: "Uncle Hector driving a car at Helensburgh." The single G registration plate is Glasgow from 1903-21. More information would be welcomed. Image supplied by Donald John Chisholm.
SS_Helensburgh115.jpg
Sailing ship Helensburgh564 viewsThe three masted iron full-rigged ship named Helensburgh, a fine main skysail yarder, was built by Robert Duncan of Port Glasgow in 1883 for Thom & Cameron of Glasgow, but in 1906 they sold her to a Norwegian, M.H.Bruusgaard of Drammen, who renamed her Marita. During World War One she was stopped and sunk on April 23 1917 by a German submarine, U-82, about 110 miles west of St Kilda while on passage from Buenos Aires to Aarhus with a cargo of grain. Image date unknown.
SRN6-at-Craigendoran-w.jpg
Hover travel387 viewsThe Clyde Hover Ferries Westland SRN6 hovercraft, which operated a service from Craigendoran pier to Greenock from 1965-6 is pictured arriving at Craigendoran pier. Powered by a Bristol-Siddeley Marine Gnome engine, it was 48 foot long, could carry 48 passengers, and had a maximum speed over calm water of 64 knots. However the service attracted fewer passengers than hoped for, and did not prove viable. Image supplied by Robert Whitton.
Rhu_van_crash22.jpg
Rhu Crash729 viewsA Tennent Caledonian delivery van which crashed into the Gareloch at Rhu. Date unknown.
Rest_and_Be_Thankful1176.jpg
Rest And Be Thankful566 viewsCars parked at the top of the Rest and Be Thankful as passengers look down Glen Croe, circa 1927.
Queen-Mary-2-w.jpg
Queen Mary 2598 viewsThe Queen Mary 2 — Cunard flagship and the longest, widest and tallest passenger ship ever built when she was launched in France in 2003 — was pictured from Helensburgh seafront at 5.07 p.m. in October 2009 by burgh man Iain Duncan. The liner berthed at Greenock on a tour of the UK to mark her fifth birthday. She can take 2,620 passengers and has 1,253 officers and crew, and has 15 restaurants and bars, five swimming pools, a casino, ballroom, theatre, planetarium, and kennels for passengers cats and dogs.
Puffer-VIC-32-at-Narrows-w.jpg
Puffer VIC 32178 viewsThe puffer VIC 32, also known as Auld Reekie, passes Rosneath's historic Ferry Inn while steaming through Rhu Narrows on May 3 2017. VIC 32 was built by Dunston’s of Thorne, Yorkshire, at Rowhedge in November 1943. This was a busy time for the Clyde shipbuilding yards and the Admiralty needed 50 — later 100 — victualling boats in a hurry. So they were built in groups of three by various different yards in England. In 1989 the “Friends of VIC 32” group was started, a money raising venture in case of an engineering or other crisis, and there are now hundreds of Friends. The vessel is operated by Puffer Steamboat Holidays Ltd. and offers five day cruises in the West Highlands each summer. Photo by Stewart Noble.
Pilcher_Hawk.jpg
The Pilcher Hawk Glider708 viewsPercy Pilcher flies his Hawk glider in 1897.
42 files on 4 page(s) 1