Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

45 files, last one added on May 03, 2017

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

34 files, last one added on Dec 24, 2016

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

105 files, last one added on Apr 11, 2018

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

63 files, last one added on Oct 03, 2017

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar_Law_card.jpg

19 files, last one added on Mar 31, 2017

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018

Royal Visits


Queen-Mother-Base-68-1w.jpg

28 files, last one added on May 21, 2017

Mansions


Hill-House-1904-w.jpg

93 files, last one added on Jul 02, 2018

Places — Burgh


Pier-in-storm-w.jpg

291 files, last one added on Feb 18, 2018

Places — District


Rhu_from_Woodstone.jpg

221 files, last one added on Jan 28, 2018

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018

Transport — Steamers


Kenilworth-Craigendoran-w.jpg

77 files, last one added on Jul 26, 2018

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

138 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015

22 albums on 1 page(s)

Random files - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
1928_Craighelen_Tennis_Club.jpg
Craighelen Tennis Club 1928788 viewsCraighelen Tennis Club members pictured outside the clubhouse in 1928.
Golf_Club4.jpg
Helensburgh Golf Club867 viewsThe golf club was formed in 1893, and this image of the clubhouse is circa 1910. At that time the subscription for ordinary members was £1 11s 6d, and for lady and junior members 16 shillings. The 18-hole course was described as “of singular excellence” and this clubhouse as “one of the best equipped in Scotland. Tom Turnbull was the professional from 1895 for 50 years.
Burnfoot.jpg
Burnfoot561 viewsThe Burnfoot farmhouse at Arden on Loch Lomondside, looking north towards Ben Lomond. Also known as Burnfoot of Ross Farm. Nearby the ferry to Inchmurrin leaves. Image circa 1920.
Baird-1926-apparatus-w.jpg
Original apparatus379 viewsHelensburgh inventor John Logie Baird is pictured with the first television transmitter, made up literally from odds and ends, in September 1926. The apparatus was used in the world's first successful demonstrations of instantaneous moving scenes by wire and wireless. It is now housed in the Science Museum in South Kensington, London.
Kirking-of-Council.jpg
Kirking of the Council798 viewsThe first ever Kirking of Helensburgh District Council at Rhu Parish Church in 1967. From left: Murdo McGregor, Margaret MacDonald, Marie Dick, Cathy Allan, chairman Billy Petrie, J.Campbell Weir, Lord Lieutenant Robert Arbuthnott, Ian Campbell MP, Frank Kane, Ken McFarlane J.McLeod Williamson, Jimmy Miller, Robert McIntyre (who supplied the image), Captain Mike Henry from Faslane, Chief Inspector Leslie Mills, Tommy Lindsay, Alex Erskine, clerk Bob Macquarrie, and Hector MacDonald.
Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg
Glen Fruin School circa 19101774 viewsThis one teacher school was built in 1840, and the building still stands today as a private house near the Black Bridge. The photograph was taken by Helensburgh grocery manager and keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, and several members of the Thorburn family were pupils.
Post-Office-team-w.jpg
Post Office team1013 viewsMOST of the players in this happy Helensburgh Post Office team are known . . . but when was the picture taken and why? In the back row are J.J.Fraser, F.M.Taylor, D.Cavana, J.Marshall, Charlie Friel, J.A.Munro, Alec Russell, and postmaster J.Sked. In the front row, only Inglis Robb (centre) and John Jardine (on his left) have been identified. Please contact the editor if you can supply more information.
St-Bride_s-Church4064.jpg
St Bride's Church664 viewsOriginally known as the West Parish Church, St Bride's Church at the corner of John Street and West King Street was opened on March 10 1878. Its first minister was the Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. In 1981 it was united with the then Old and St Andrew's Church in Colquhoun Square to become the West Kirk, and a few years later it was demolished and replaced by a new burgh library and flats.

Last additions - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Rhu_tennis.jpg
Rhu tennis16 viewsThis group of tennis players at Rhu was photographed by well known Helensburgh photographer Bill Benzie. Image date unknown. Any further information would be most welcome.Jul 29, 2018
Cumberland-fire-w.jpg
Cumberland burns22 viewsThe Clyde Industrial Training Ship Association vessel Cumberland, moored off Rhu from 1869-89, was destroyed by fire — allegedly arson by five boy pupils — and sold for scrap. The illustrations are from 'The Graphic' newspaper of the time.Jul 29, 2018
Kilcreggan-infants-1921-w.jpg
Kilcreggan infants26 viewsInfant pupils at Kilcreggan School in June 1921 when the headmaster was George S.Rae. Image kindly supplied by Richard Reeve.Jul 29, 2018
Kilcreggan-School-1921-1-w.jpg
Kilcreggan pupils30 viewsOlder pupils at Kilcreggan School in 1921, with headmaster George S.Rae. Image kindly supplied by Richard Reeve.Jul 29, 2018
Kenilworth-Craigendoran-w.jpg
PS Kenilworth16 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return in 1936 she was the first of the Craigendoran fleet to acquire the grey hull and reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed. Image circa 1936.Jul 26, 2018
Hill-House-1904-w.jpg
Hill House 190451 viewsAn image of The Hill House, the Upper Colquhoun Street mansion designed by architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh for publisher Walter W.Blackie, shortly after construction finished in 1904. © Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.
Jul 02, 2018
Army-artillery-reserve-w.jpg
Reservists55 viewsMembers of the local Army Reserve the early 1950s. More information would be welcomed. Image supplied by Gordon Fraser, whose father is extreme right in the front row.Jul 01, 2018
Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg
Scouts at work49 viewsMembers of the local scouting Rovers building a cabin in the woods at Luss in the early 1950s. More information would be welcomed. Image supplied by Gordon Fraser.Jul 01, 2018