Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

45 files, last one added on May 03, 2017

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

34 files, last one added on Dec 24, 2016

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

105 files, last one added on Apr 11, 2018

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

63 files, last one added on Oct 03, 2017

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar_Law_card.jpg

19 files, last one added on Mar 31, 2017

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018

Royal Visits


Queen-Mother-Base-68-1w.jpg

28 files, last one added on May 21, 2017

Mansions


Hill-House-1904-w.jpg

93 files, last one added on Jul 02, 2018

Places — Burgh


2_the_Triangle.jpg

292 files, last one added on Aug 31, 2018

Places — District


Rhu_from_Woodstone.jpg

221 files, last one added on Jan 28, 2018

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018

Transport — Steamers


Kenilworth-Craigendoran-w.jpg

77 files, last one added on Jul 26, 2018

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

138 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015

22 albums on 1 page(s)

Random files - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
St-Joseph_s-w.jpg
St Joseph's Church171 viewsThere was no Roman Catholic Church in Helensburgh until 1880 when a chapel with school was built in Grant Street where the present church halls are. The present church itself at the corner of Lomond Street and East King Street was opened in 1912. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Outdoor-pool-backstroke-race.jpg
Backstroke race893 viewsThree contestants are seen battling it out in a Helensburgh Swimming Club backstroke race at the outdoor pool in this 1949 image. Built in 1928 as a gift from Provost Andrew Buchanan, beside the pier, the pool was replaced in 1976 by an indoor pool on an adjacent site, and a year later the outdoor pool was closed. It was demolished in 1996 and replaced by a childrens play area.
East_Clyde_Street.jpg
East Clyde Street876 viewsLooking east along East Clyde Street from the pier towards the Granary Restaurant and the Old Parish Church. Image circa 1959.
Donkey_Derby1423.jpg
Lions Carnival1016 viewsMiss Great Britain, Jennifer Gurley, is with Helensburgh Lions Club members Provost J.McLeod Williamson and Alan Wylie at the Lions Club's Carnival and Donkey Derby in East King Street Park in July 1968. In the background is another Lions Club member, Stewart Walker.
James_Kay_-_First_Snow,_Whistlefield,_Loch_Long_-_oil_on_canvas.jpg
First Snow at Whistlefield620 viewsAn oil on canvas painting by James Kay RSA RSW entitled 'First Snow at Whistlefield", which in 2014 was valued at £1,500. Kay lived there at Crimea (now Dalriada), Portincaple for 33 years and worked in a studio at 79 West Regent Street, Glasgow. The house belonged to his brother Alec, a shipping office manager. The name was chosen when they moved there in 1909 because his father was a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy during the Crimean War, serving in the Black Sea area. James painted an elaborate mural of scenes from the Crimean War on the walls of the main entrance. Image date unknown.
PS-Jeanie-Deans5311.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans761 viewsThe popular paddle steamer Jeanie Deans, circa 1933. She was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
Old_Colquhoun_Square7.jpg
North West Colquhoun Square881 viewsA photo taken by Alexander Wilson, a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years, who in 1923 bequeathed much of his collection — and £50 to cover costs — to the Free Library Committee of Dundee. Image by courtesy of Dundee City Library.
Seafront_postcard297.jpg
Clyde Street597 viewsThis postcard bearing the Helensburgh coat of arms is looking east from Colquhoun Street towards the bandstand and the Old Parish Church. Image circa 1907.

Last additions - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
2_the_Triangle.jpg
Burgh prefab63 viewsThe town had a number of prefab homes for several decades, and this one is 2 The Triangle, just behind the Victoria Infirmary and where Johnston Court is now. Image, date unknown, supplied by Helensburgh Memories member Paul Oakes.Aug 31, 2018
Rhu_tennis.jpg
Rhu tennis93 viewsThis group of tennis players at Rhu was photographed by well known Helensburgh photographer Bill Benzie. Image date unknown. Any further information would be most welcome.Jul 29, 2018
Cumberland-fire-w.jpg
Cumberland burns116 viewsThe Clyde Industrial Training Ship Association vessel Cumberland, moored off Rhu from 1869-89, was destroyed by fire — allegedly arson by five boy pupils — and sold for scrap. The illustrations are from 'The Graphic' newspaper of the time.Jul 29, 2018
Kilcreggan-infants-1921-w.jpg
Kilcreggan infants120 viewsInfant pupils at Kilcreggan School in June 1921 when the headmaster was George S.Rae. Image kindly supplied by Richard Reeve.Jul 29, 2018
Kilcreggan-School-1921-1-w.jpg
Kilcreggan pupils138 viewsOlder pupils at Kilcreggan School in 1921, with headmaster George S.Rae. Image kindly supplied by Richard Reeve.Jul 29, 2018
Kenilworth-Craigendoran-w.jpg
PS Kenilworth90 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return in 1936 she was the first of the Craigendoran fleet to acquire the grey hull and reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed. Image circa 1936.Jul 26, 2018
Hill-House-1904-w.jpg
Hill House 1904133 viewsAn image of The Hill House, the Upper Colquhoun Street mansion designed by architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh for publisher Walter W.Blackie, shortly after construction finished in 1904. © Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.
Jul 02, 2018
Army-artillery-reserve-w.jpg
Reservists133 viewsMembers of the local Army Reserve the early 1950s. More information would be welcomed. Image supplied by Gordon Fraser, whose father is extreme right in the front row.Jul 01, 2018