Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1928
1928 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1609640 times

Random files
Garelochhead_from_station-2.jpg
Garelochhead from station635 viewsA 1907 image of Garelochhead seem from the station.
pinewood.jpg
Pine Wood793 viewsEntrance to Pine Wood, The Highlandman's Road. Postcard dated 1891.
Gareloch_sunset.jpg
Gareloch sunset590 viewsAn atmospheric image of a yacht moored in the Gareloch near Rhu at sunset, circa 1951.
Shandon_golf_course090.jpg
Shandon golf course918 viewsA nine hole golf course existed for many years at Shandon, on the hill above the Gareloch, and Ryder Cup golfer Tom Haliburton learned to play and love the sport on this course as a child. Image date unknown.
Craigendoran-pier-workmen2.jpg
Hard at work1015 viewsTwo workmen at the North British Railway workshop at Craigendoran Station and Pier about 1910-1914. On the right is William Halford of Helensburgh.
Shandon_pier.jpg
Shandon Pier788 views
John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg
John Logie Baird605 viewsA portrait of the inventor of television.
Kilcreggan1576.jpg
Kilcreggan615 viewsA 1927 view from the water of Kilcreggan.

Last additions
Shipbreaking_Industries.jpg
Faslane shipbreaking50 viewsThe Shipbreaking Industries yard at Faslane, clearly illustrating that they broke up old railway locomotives as well as ships. After Faslane had been a military port in World War Two, at the end of 1945 the southern section was handed over to the Royal Navy who used it as a base for the Reserve Fleet. In August 1946 the rest was handed over to Metal Industries (later Shipbreaking Industries) for shipbreaking. Many famous vessels ended their days there, including the last four-funnelled liner, the Aquitania, the German battleship Derflinger which had been scuttled at Scapa Flow, and the last battleship built for the Royal Navy, HMS Vanguard. Image, date unknown, by courtesy of Stewart Noble.Nov 25, 2018
Cairndhu-GF-w.jpg
Cairndhu51 viewsThe magnificent William Leiper-designed Helensburgh seafront mansion Cairndhu, which is now boarded up, pictured in its heyday by Gordon Fraser. It was built for Glasgow businessman John Ure, who later became Lord Provost of Glasgow, in the style of a miniature French chateau, with stained glass windows by Daniel Cottier. The mansion remained a private home until the Second World War. In September 1940 it was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and became home to part of HMS Vernon, along with neighbouring Ardencaple Castle. for degaussing operations. In 1947 Cairndhu was returned to private ownership and became a hotel and then a nursing home.Nov 25, 2018
CHORD-seafront-w.jpg
CHORD project50 viewsARGYLL and Bute Council's Helensburgh's CHORD project, opened in 2015, involved over £7 million of investment in regenerating the town centre, making improvements to the town's public places, including wider pavements, better access to local shops, new parking bays, and new street furniture. This image by Gordon Fraser shows work in progress on laying the new pavement near the junction of West Clyde Street and William Street.Nov 25, 2018
2_the_Triangle.jpg
Burgh prefab174 viewsThe town had a number of prefab homes for several decades, and this one is 2 The Triangle, just behind the Victoria Infirmary and where Johnston Court is now. Image, date unknown, supplied by Helensburgh Memories member Paul Oakes.Aug 31, 2018
Rhu_tennis.jpg
Rhu tennis222 viewsThis group of tennis players at Rhu was photographed by well known Helensburgh photographer Bill Benzie. Image date unknown. Any further information would be most welcome.Jul 29, 2018
Cumberland-fire-w.jpg
Cumberland burns235 viewsThe Clyde Industrial Training Ship Association vessel Cumberland, moored off Rhu from 1869-89, was destroyed by fire — allegedly arson by five boy pupils — and sold for scrap. The illustrations are from 'The Graphic' newspaper of the time.Jul 29, 2018
Kilcreggan-infants-1921-w.jpg
Kilcreggan infants249 viewsInfant pupils at Kilcreggan School in June 1921 when the headmaster was George S.Rae. Image kindly supplied by Richard Reeve.Jul 29, 2018
Kilcreggan-School-1921-1-w.jpg
Kilcreggan pupils288 viewsOlder pupils at Kilcreggan School in 1921, with headmaster George S.Rae. Image kindly supplied by Richard Reeve.Jul 29, 2018